Chapter Four

It was evening when I finally got close to the woods where I promised to meet Clara. After running out of school, I was able to run at a steady pace for thirty minutes before hunger assailed me. The cinnamon rolls from Clara were left untouched on the lunch table and I seriously regretted that. It was so tempting to use the entire twenty dollars I had to purchase a meal but I had to be wise.

It was certain I wasn’t going to go back home. If I could even call it that. It wasn’t my home. I was a stranger there. Goddess, that hurt. The people I called mum and dad weren’t really my parents. Dylan wasn’t my brother and the possibility of Silver Moon not being my pack was still a plague in my mind.

Would they even look for me? Would they care? I could almost picture the relief on their faces when they discover they no longer had to put up with me. Tears stung my eyes and I blinked rapidly. I was in  public. I wouldn’t cry.

“Hey, you okay?” Startled I glanced up to a concerned gaze. It was a guy Dylan’s age.

“I’m fine.” The lie was almost too natural.

“Nah. You look like you need company,” He slid into the booth opposite me. “I’m Ashton. What’s your name?”

My hackles slowly rose as he continued to stare at me. What did he want? I had never had a stranger talk to me before. “What do you want?” I didn’t bother masking the suspicion in my tone.

“I want to know your name.” It couldn’t be as simple as that. He looked normal. Nice hair and face, clean clothes and a curious expression. He didn’t look any different from normal humans but I was not used to strangers, I couldn’t help but be guarded.

“Since you’re not going to talk to me, I’m just going to talk at you till my buddy over there finishes his shift,” He pointed at one of the waiters who waved enthusiastically before hurrying off. “ He probably thinks I’m hitting on you.” That was more for his hearing than mine.

“Do you go to the local college? I go there. My buddy and I. I’m a Criminology major. What about you?” He paused expectantly but I simply stared at him. “Well, I’m really liking college so far. You see, last year I wasn’t even sure I was going to have enough credits to stay in college, but my buddy, Noah, he pushed me to study. He’s like my best bud now.”

I listened to this stranger talk about criminology jargons, college football and crime movies. For two hours he chartered non stop and at a point I even started to chip in. It was weird, talking to a stranger and listening to him go on about random things that I couldn’t follow, but it took some of my attention off my miserable life.

It was a few minutes past seven when his buddy finished his shift and they bid me goodbye. “It was nice talking at you, Sad Girl,” He called as he exited the café.

The silence that followed his exit was almost too much to bear so I walked out of the cafe and wandered into the woods that were ten minutes away. Sniffing the air, I caught the scent of peaches and followed it to Clara.

“Hey,” she was sitting on her bag, leaning against a tree. “How long have you been here?” I asked.

“I drove over right after school ended.” That was over three hours ago.

“Oh.” I didn’t know what else to say. I didn’t want to sit on the grass with her since I was wearing my favourite jean.  My only jean really since I had run away.

“Will you tell me what happened? She asked timidly. I contemplated how much I could tell her. How much she would believe.

“I found my mate.” I stated simply. I watched her eyes light up.

“Congratulations,” She sprang to her feet and wrapped me in a hug before sagging. “Oh.” She understood. “I’m sorry. “ Her voice was choked and her eyes filled up with tears. Omegas were like that.

“Yeah. Unlucky me,” I tried at humour but the words stuck in my throat and I began crying. Clara buried my face in her neck and rubbed my back as I cried like a baby. It was a full twenty minutes before I calmed slightly.

“Is it Dylan?” She was cautious and I was shocked.

“What? H-he's my brother,” I tried and failed to make a face.

No one will believe you.

“No, he’s not.”  She simply stated. I stared at her. “You don’t look like them, Remi. You smell like them, yes, but family scent is more about laundry soap and garden flowers than family ties.” She shrugged.

“You knew?” It sounded like I was accusing her. I was accusing her of betrayal.

“I didn’t know but I’ve suspected. You weren’t always around. It’s like one day when we were like five, you were suddenly there. You don’t look like them and your parents never treated you like their pup.”

When she said it like that, it almost felt like something that should have been obvious to me. Then again, who suspects their family of not being their family? Not me. I didn’t understand what she meant by suddenly being there but I knew I was missing some memories thanks to Bella.

“Are you running away?” She quizzed and my silence answered her. “You know that’s not wise, Remi. Where would you go?” She asked.

“To find my family.” It was the only answer I had. The only plan I had. It was stupid and not even a plan at all, but it was the only thing holding me together.

“Where will you look first?” A shrug. “You could ask your pa— the alpha. You don’t have the resources to do it on your own. You haven’t even finished High School! At least get a diploma before you go off on your own.” She pleaded with me but I was adamant.

“If I go back, I will die.” I answered simply.

“What?” She was taken aback.

“I’ll die, Clara. I’ll see him going about with Bella and I wouldn’t be able to stand it. It’ll kill my wolf.” It was the truth.

“Oh, Remi!” She flung her hands around me again, sniffing. “I don’t like this.” She cried.

“Neither do I, Clara. But the earlier I leave, the better. I might have to survive in the woods for a while, dodging hunters, but I’m certain I’ll make it. I’m not going to die.” I assured her and she sniffed loudly.

“Promise?” Her wide eyes glistened with tear and I chuckled. I promised.

We were sitting in silence for a while, listening to crickets chirp when pain struck. It was hard and fast and the worst thing I had ever felt in my life. My gums ached while my knees buckled. I crashed to the ground with Clara talking in the background. It sounded like she was shouting. Everything was too loud. My ear drums threatened to spill out as I panted. My nails turned to claws and then turned back to nails. Fur covered my skin before receding. I screamed in pain.

“Don’t fight it. Embrace it,” Clara was chanting in the background but I couldn’t help  it. The pain was unbearable. Tears splashed on the dried leaves beneath me. I clenched my fist and drew blood.

“Please,”  I cried.

“It’s just me, Remi. It’s us.” I could hear Deena. “It's us, Remi. We’re changing. Let go.”

Let go

It was difficult, but between Clara and Deena, I was able to achieve it. I completed my first shift.

It was the most exhilarating feeling ever. Everything was suddenly clearer. The constant whirlwind of thoughts in my head was silenced and for once, I was completely myself. I tried to communicate the joy I felt with Clara, but it came out as growls. Clara stared, transfixed.

I galloped around the woods and I was fast. Really fast. I even caught a big rabbit! I tried to share with Clara but she laughed at me. It didn’t matter. I was starved anyway. It felt like I hadn’t eaten in a hundred years.

It was almost midnight before I changed back. I was bursting with energy. I had also burst out of my clothes.

“Oh shoot!” My adrenaline wore out as I stared at my favourite clothes in shreds. Suddenly Clara started to take off her clothes. “What are you doing?” I asked, aghast.

“Giving you my clothes.” She replied in a duh voice.

“What are you going to wear?” I asked incredulously.

“My gym clothes are in my bag. I was taking them home to wash.”

“Why not give me the gym clothes? You have like three others.” I asked and she smiled sadly.

“ I don’t know when next you’re going to get clothes, Remi. I’m not leaving you with these atrocious shorts,” She replied. I shed a tear.

At midnight when she left, I bid her a safe trip and apologised for the trouble I knew she would get in for staying out so late. Then I cried about my miserable situation.