Chapter 19

Christmas comes far faster than she had thought. Hermione exchanges gifts with her friends in the morning--two new novels from Harry, a beautiful silver charm bracelet from Ginny, sweets and a new dress from Blaise and Luna, a few trinkets from Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes that George had given her, and the stitched sweater she got every year from Molly. In return, she had baked each of her friends a batch of cookies. It would have been material gifts, but they had insisted she save her money for her own family--and then went to her Aunt Jemina's for a dinner.

After debating with herself, Hermione had decided she would bring Draco with her, if only to avoid the guilt of leaving him alone on the holiday.

She had begged and pleaded and, eventually, threatened him to be on his best behavior while around her muggle family. To her surprise and pleasure, he did not disappoint her, not even when Jeremy spouted a few sarcastic comments.

All through the evening, he acts the part of a perfect gentleman; he gives compliments, helps serve food, and even assists her aunt in the kitchen when called in for cleaning. With each gesture, her smile grows, but so does her suspicion.

When they get back to her home, she stops him in the hallway between the front door and the living room and pins him with a searching look. "What's gotten in to you?" She asks, placing her hands on her hips and blocking his way.

Draco tilts his head and stares at her with wide, innocent eyes. "What do you mean?" he shoots back. "I did exactly what you wanted me too, nothing less and nothing more." Hermione peers at him, watching the way his gray orbs glance to her then flit away to look at something else. Other than that, he is immovable and stoic. She already has her answer.

"You're not as good at lying as you were when you first got here," she states, smirking. "Or maybe I'm just able to see your tells, now."

He scowls at her, meeting her gaze head-on and doesn't look away. She doesn't miss the way his hands twitch. "I'm an excellent liar," he grumbles.

Hermione chuckles, still cheery with the holiday, then returns to the matter at hand. "I can tell you're lying, so what's the real reason you behaved so well with my family. I know you, a little too well, and I know you wouldn't treat a muggle so kindly unless you had a good reason to." She stops when she sees a flicker of fire in his molten eyes and adds, "you can hardly stand to be touched by one whenever we go out in public so don't lie to me." He swallows hard, jaw twitching. "Explain yourself," she prompts.

He mutters something under his breath, rolling his eyes, then speaks in a louder voice. "The other day, when you sent me upstairs so you could talk to Potter and she-weasel, I-" He's saved from finishing by a sharp rapping on the door.

Both of them start and whip around to face the door, Hermione with confusion and Draco with fear.

"That's my cue to run," he says, darting around Hermione and up to his bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

"Draco Malfoy, I am not through with you yet!" Hermione shouts on her way to the door. She pulls on a smile and twists the knob, pulling the door open. "Merry Christmas! What can I do-" Her words die on her lips as she stares in horrified fascination at the person standing on her front porch.

For just a moment, Hermione considers slamming the door and calling the authorities, or maybe the entire ministry of magic. Then she gives herself a small shake and tunes in to what her visitor is saying.

"Merry Christmas to you as well, dear, " The woman greets, a small grin on her lips. "Do you mind if we do formal introductions inside? It's a touch chilly out here and I don't want either of us to catch a cold."