Chapter 31

Draco is the first to wake the next morning, though that really isn't surprising. While he had certainly been resting peacefully, he is still a light sleeper. When his mother happens across him and Hermione in the morning, her gasp is enough to snap him from sleep. 

Eyes flicking open, he groggily stares at his mother. "What?" He murmurs, licking his dry lips to help the words along. Hermione twitches and Draco holds his breath, willing her to stay asleep. 

Narcissa watches Hermione for a moment, recovered from her shock now, and purses her lips. When the girl does not move, she arches a brow at her son. "Is that who I think it is?" She asks, quiet enough that it does not disturb Hermione. 

Nodding, Draco mouths, "I'll explain later, let her sleep." 

His mother hesitates before letting out a sharp breath and turning on heel, leaving them alone. Draco's sleep doesn't come again, but he's more than content with holding Hermione. He doesn't want to let her go, not when an undercurrent of fear is running through his head, worried he'd imaged last night. 

It's an hour later when Hermione stirs, lifting her head from his shoulder and stretching luxuriously. She sighs as her back pops then slowly opens her eyes. It takes her a while to blink away the light of the room, but when she does, she lets out a squeak and nearly tumbles right off his lap. Draco catches her just in time. 

"Don't crack your skull when I only just got you back," he jokes, pulling her closer. 

Hermione sits still for a while, catching the breath that had been startled out of her, before relaxing. "For a moment, I'd forgotten that I fell asleep on you. Thank you, though, for catching me." She flushes a pretty crimson and meets his gaze. "I think I should also apologize for falling asleep on you, given that it was a bit rude. I hadn't meant to, really, I swear it." 

"No, it's alright," he reassures. "It was the best sleep I've had in a long time." The second he says it, he realizes his mistake. Not giving her time to linger on the words and decide she doesn't like the meaning behind them, he quickly says, "what do you say we find something to eat and catch up in the gardens?" 

Just as he'd hoped, Hermione ignores his previous words and focuses on the suggestions. She considers, briefly, denying him and returning to her own home. The idea of being there again, after so long and before she's seen any of her friends, leaves a foul feeling. Besides, her stomach is growling. Home can wait a while longer. 

"That sounds lovely," Hermione agrees, grinning as she slides off his lap and stands up. They walk through the manor in silence with only the sound of their shoes, which they hadn't taken off the previous night, hitting the floor to fill their ears. Once or twice a portrait of some great uncle or another great-great grandmother snaps at Hermione, but she just smiles in a  feral way and fingers her wand threateningly. They  fall silent each time and the pair keep walking. 

When they finally get to the kitchen, Hermione gasps and gazes in awe. "Oh merciful Merlin," she breathes, moving from Draco's side to run a hand along the black marble counters. "I haven't seen a kitchen this large since Hogwarts!" 

Draco watches her as she explores the kitchen, pleased that she's happy after last night's confession of guilt. "Do you like it? I don't come in here often myself," he admits. 

She turns away from the stove she'd been fiddling with and looks to him. "Can I cook something?" Hermione asks, eyes wide and pleading. "You know I love cooking and it's been months since I've had a home cooked meal, let alone made one myself." 

"What've you been eating then?" 

Shrugging, she mutters, "whatever I could find that didn't cost much. It's not like I really planned ahead for a four month trip around the world. I didn't have a lot of money on hand all the time."