Chapter 4

Maisie

Up until a few moments ago, I thought that stealing a pudding cup from the cafeteria was a good idea. I was hungry, bored, and tired, so I assumed the pudding cup would give me the energy I needed.

Boy, was I wrong.

Not only did it taste horrible, but also that annoying little shit Fabian noticed.

Why is this all such a big deal? Oh you have no idea. No idea.

~ • ~

At the end of 5th period, I trudged outside where my 2 best friends, Kylie and Sage, sat at a picnic table on the edge of the large courtyard.

Actually, now that I think about it, not only are they my best friends, they're my only friends.

The kids here at Patterson High School aren't exactly nice to people like me and my friends. Your hair is dyed? You're a freak (unless it's bleach blonde, like practically every "preppy" girl here). You have a nose piercing? Emo weirdo. You listen to alternative music? You're labeled as a scary "goth."

It may seem like a stereotypical, cliché high school; but that's exactly what it is.

Back in my eighth grade year, I decided to cut my hair into a pixie cut and dye it purple. Kylie and Sage urged me to, and I was so excited. I came in the next day, but everywhere I looked, there were people like Fabian smirking and laughing at me. They think I didn't hear the names they called me. But I did. And from then on, I decided that if what they wanted was a weird, creepy goth girl, that's exactly what they'd get. My hair has grown back since then, but I've continued to dye it. I've slowly learned to care less and less about what people think, but some things still do get to me.

Sitting down at the small, round picnic table where my friends sat, I opened my lunch box, taking out the ham and cheese sandwich I packed myself earlier this morning. The table was on the edge of the courtyard, near a big open field that we used for events sometimes.

Kylie doodled on her notebook as she ate some carrot sticks, her black bangs covering her eyes. She was tall, and was honestly pretty enough to be a model. She wore a black button up shirt, a plaid black and white skirt, black tights, and black combat boots.

Sage was frantically doing her homework, and I could tell she was stressed. Her dyed red hair was a mess, and she had dark circles under her eyes.

"Do you guys have the History homework? Can I copy it? I wasn't at home last night because I had to babysit," Sage asked, looking at me and Kylie.

"Sure," I replied, grabbing my blue History binder out of my backpack and handing her the worksheet.

"Have you guys heard - Nico Harrington and Elizabeth Palisco are dating. They're so gross, I might barf," Kylie said, her voice completely monotone.

"Yeah I heard..." I trailed off, taking a bite into my sandwich.

Sage was completely zoned out, copying my homework, and after Kylie's brief chat with me, she put her earbuds in and turned the volume up all the way, allowing me and just about everyone around us to hear the heavy metal she was listening to.

I sighed, looking around the lunchroom. Fabian and his big group of friends were laughing and talking, and for a split second I saw a look of fear in his eyes. Confused, I stared at him for a few more seconds, until he turned and looked at me from across the courtyard.

My eyebrows furrowed together and I rolled my eyes at him, until I realized he was looking at something behind me.

Slowly turning around, I spotted a girl a couple of yards away, with tan skin and dark brown hair. The hood to her dark green sweatshirt was pulled up, so I didn't get a good view of her face.

I looked back to Fabian, who ignored the people around him trying to get his attention, and stood up, his eyes fixated on the girl.

I looked back to where the girl was, but she was gone.

What the hell?

Turning around, I made eye contact with Fabian, who looked just as confused as I was. He shook his head, looking away as a girl next to him pulled him back down into his seat and started laughing and talking to him. He laughed but he still looked distant, as if he wasn't completely there.

Then I snapped my fingers.

And just like that, I stopped time.

~•~

cliffhanger :)))) !! constructive criticism and comments are very much appreciated! thank you for taking the time to read my work so far, it truly means a lot. (especially Lindsey7618 , your comments have seriously given me the motivation to update)