Chapter- 3

~ Aasia ~

After a long silence.

"I am not going to accept." I said looking at her face.

"Why? What is wrong? They are such a respected and valued family. Their son lives in New york and he has a good job. It's any girl's dream to get married to him."

"Yes. But still I am not going to accept. "

" Who do you want to accept then? A prince? Because all I know is that you won't accept the men we suggest for you." She said putting her both hands up.

"It is not like that modar jan. You know exactly what I really want. You know that I don't want to get married even if he is a prince or anyone else. I just want to study. I am trying to tell you from six years, why don't you understand." I said tears filling my eyes.

"You also know this clearly that your demands won't be completed. We can't let you study even if we want to. Not in this society. Don't you remember what happened to our previous neighbour Shafiq's daughter? She was seeing a man when she was going to the college and she ended up being pragnent. Didn't you hear what people were cursing her? Not only her, but they were also spitting her father for raising such a daughter. Shafiq didn't know what to do, so he just left Kabul with his daughter and wife. Since then, everyone stopped sending their daughters out to study and how can we let you study?" She said angrily.

"But I am not Shafiq's daughter, I am your daughter modar jan, you and my Padar Jan (father) are the people who raised me. You taught me modesty, humility and honesty. You showed me my limits. So what is the problem? You still don't trust me enough?" I said and she nodded in agreement.

"I know my child, I know you will never put our heads down. We trust you more than anyone, but how can we shut people's mouth once they started talking about you. You are our daughter, we don't want people saying ruthless things to you." She said holding my both hands in hers.

"Islam never said anything about women's education? Infact, it said that knowledge is important for both men and women. Why should we care about people's saying when our religion didn't stop us?" I said and got got up from my place releasing my hands as anger started surging through my body.

This has to be the reason all the time when I talk about my education.

"You are so naive Aasia, you will never understant. Even if we let you study, for how long will you study? You are twenty-four already. Few years later you will turn thirty, then who will marry you? You know people barely accept to marry girls over thirty, only if the men's wife is dead and he needs someone to look after his children or an old men who is in his fifties. Now tell me, will you accept that Aasia. " She said folding her arms.

"Let people say whatever they want to, and how can you be so sure about my future mom. Different things can happen." I replied frustrated.

" Enough is enough Aasia. I am tired of explaning to you. Look at your cousins who are in your age, they are married and have two, three childrens already. Your sister got married when she was twenty-one. Aren't you ashamed of that?"

"Ashamed of what? I can't stop my age!"

"It is really unworthy of talking to you girl. You are so stubborn. You don't think about anyone except your own self. You don't care about our happiness. Do whatever you want. Reject this proposal if you want to. But before taking any decision, just think about the sequences one time. Your father have stopped talking to you since from two months because of your rejection to hasan. You only have one chance to make him happy, but if you say reject this time, you will not only destroy your life but you will also loose our love and bride towards you. Both me and you father will never look at your face for the rest of your life. " she cried and left the room.