Alice's Story

Copyright Kathleen Ball 2013

Chapter One

Alice ran up the steps to her second floor apartment. She couldn’t wait to tell Jen the big news. Her roommate was sitting at the dinette table searching through the want ads. Alice shook her head. Jen might be pretty with her big brown doe eyes and her waist long brown hair, but she wasn’t all that bright. They didn’t need jobs.

“Jen guess what?”

Jen stopped circling ads and put her red pen down. “You got a job? You robbed a bank? Please just tell me you have your half of the rent this month.”

She hated when Jen wasn’t excited as she. “No. The rodeo starts this week. I can’t wait to see all the hunky cowboys. It’s been a long dry spell, Jen, and I just need some fun.”

Jen’s eye’s widened and her eyebrows rose. “Long dry spell? What the heck was Milton all about?”

Alice sat down at the table. “Milton was a misfire.”

“What does that even mean?”

“Remember the laws of attractions we made? How good looks attract good looks? That part happened but money did not attract money. Milton thought I had money.”

Jen laughed. “You dyed your hair blonde, bought those ridiculous colored contacts, had your nails done and rifled through every thrift shop in Fort Worth trying to look rich and, well, I guess you succeeded.”

Alice sighed. “It wasn’t supposed to work that way. I do have to admit that I look much better than I did. I’d love for my mother to see me now. I’m no longer a plain Jane that no man would ever want.”

“Honey, for your own good you have to let your past go. You are not what your mother kept telling you. You are attractive inside and out. You are smart and I don’t care what she said. You can do and be anything you want.”

“Would it be so awful to want a prince charming in my life? Just for once?” She knew she was pouting but she didn’t care.

“You crack me up. Come on, we need to come up with the rest of the rent money or we’re screwed.”

Alice glanced around, she hated the gray stained carpet and the small appliances that barely worked. The threadbare couch was a mustard color that had been stained many times over. There was one bathroom and one bedroom. The quarters were too tight. It was a far drop from living at home. Her father a financial advisor, was getting ready to retire. Her mother was the PTA/Garden Club socialite in their small town. Alice never measured up. All she ever had going for her was her big chest, and that was sometimes a curse.

“How much more do we need?”

“Well, let’s see. You didn’t pay anything so we need your half. I paid it all last month Alice, I don’t have anymore.” Jen picked up her red pen and began circling the want ads again.

“I know and I’m sorry, Jen. I get the jobs but I swear I don’t know why I keep getting fired.” Maybe her mother was right, maybe she was useless.

“You just need to concentrate. Getting the job is the hardest part. I know you never worked before so you really don’t have a skill set yet. I hate to say this Alice, but your mother didn’t do you any favors by having you raised by housekeepers. You have to start from the bottom and work your way up. That’s just how it works.” Jen gave her an encouraging smile.