Alice's Story

It was February in Fort Worth. The days were already getting warmer but the nights a bit cool yet. Alice didn’t have coat. Burke took his off and draped it around her shoulders. They laughed at how long it was on her.

“Do you live around here?” he asked, putting his arm around her waist and pulling her close to his side.

“Not far. I just love the rodeo so my friend Jen and I made a special trip to watch.”

“You didn’t happen to see my prize bull did you?”

“It was the best. That purse was well earned.”

Burke couldn’t help the grin that had taken over his face. They walked down the crowded brick sidewalk onto the wooden walkway, past all types of shops. There was a huge crowd at Billy Bob’s, the world’s largest honky tonk. It looked like fun, but he wanted to be alone with Alice.

She made him feel alive and vital. The knots in his stomach surprised him. Alice was obviously someone special.

****

The berth of his shoulders took her breath away. She’d never seen eyes so blue and his brown hair under his Stetson appeared to be thick. She wanted to throw his hat off and run her fingers through his hair. She could see his powerful arm muscles beneath his shirt. This was a real man and she wanted him.

She’d done it. She’d actually attracted a rich man. One that she knew she could learn to love. She wondered how big his house was. It was probably nestled under a grove of trees, with a huge wraparound porch.

She’d make friends with the staff, unlike her mother. She wanted to be respected and most of all she wanted to see her mother’s face when she came to visit. Plain Jane no more.

“Where is your ranch?”

Burke gave a big sexy grin that churned her insides. “It’s outside of Weltworth. Not all that far from here.”

“I bet you have a lot of land.”

“Yes, I do, enough for my needs.” He stopped and turned toward her. Alice gazed into his eyes with great anticipation. She licked her lips as he lowered his head. She could feel his strength behind his masterful kiss. Reaching up she wrapped her arms around his neck, wanting more, needing more.

His tongue made her crazy and before she knew it she felt weak in the knees. Instant chemistry was rare for her. She pulled away and gazed dreamily into his blue eyes. The desire she saw in them excited her. Her whole body hummed.

“How long will you be in Fort Worth?” She held her breath, waiting for the answer.

“I need to be back by Monday. Now that my Bull won, I’m expecting quite a few phone calls.”

“Oh, are you selling him?”

“No, his bloodline is strong and he’ll breed great stock.”

She hadn’t a clue but she didn’t want him to know she was so ignorant. “Of course. That is great!” She gave him a big smile. She hoped it was a dazzling smile but she knew she didn’t possess one.

They continued to walk arm-in-arm back toward the saloon. “Can I walk you to your car?” he asked.

“No, I don’t have a car.”

Burke nodded. “Your friend drove. We can try to find her.” He pulled out a cell phone. “What’s her number?”

“She doesn’t have a phone. Um, she doesn’t believe in cell phones. What about if I came to your hotel? I could get a cab from there.” Damn, one lie after another. She hoped he believed her. At the very least she might be able to get the rent money from him.

Burke stopped and studied her face. He cocked his right eyebrow. “Are you sure you want to come back to the hotel?”

Once again she found herself lost in his blue eyes. “Yes I would love to.”

Burke grinned and grabbed her hand. “I’m staying up there.” He pointed to a nice hotel behind the stockyards. She’d always wanted to stay there.

Alice squeezed his hand and they started the trek to the hotel. It wasn’t a long walk. Once inside Burke hesitated. He seemed unsure of himself.

“Would you like to have a drink at the bar?” he asked.

“That would be great.” Alice walked beside Burke. He had his hand on the small of her back and she loved it.