Alice's Story

Chapter Two

Burke woke before the sun, smiling. What an incredible night. He never knew sex could be so powerful. Gazing at her she looked angelic with her blonde hair spread on her pillow. He hoped they would spend the day together. He really wanted to get to know her better before he had to go home.

Being with Alice made him realize just how lonely he’d been. Somehow he felt like a better person around her. She elevated his confidence and he liked it. He liked it a lot. She was perfect in every way. She knew about ranching and he bet she’d make the perfect helpmate. He could imagine coming home to a warm dinner and kids, he wanted kids.

She stirred, her long eyelashes fluttered and she graced him with a smile. “Good morning.”

“Yes, it is. You’re so beautiful.”

Alice closed her eyes and shook her head. “No one has ever called me that before.”

“Is the world blind? You are beautiful, very beautiful.” He leaned over and caressed her cheek.

“My mother calls me a plain Jane. I believe her.”

Burke sat up in the bed. “I don’t know why anyone would say that to you, especially a mother.”

Her smile wrapped around his heart. “I don’t get along with my parents. I moved here not too long ago and it’s been hard to find a job. My friend Jen and I share an apartment. We don’t have the money to pay the rent this month. I feel at loose ends and truthfully I don’t know where I’ll end up.”

He knew it was crazy but he couldn’t help himself. “Marry me.”

“Really? Isn’t it too fast?”

She bit her lip and he was afraid she’d make herself bleed. Burke cupped her chin and ran his thumb over her luscious lips. The same lips that kissed every part of him last night. He felt himself harden. “Maybe, but I want you to live on my ranch with me as my wife. I don’t want to take a chance of losing you.”

Alice reached out and caressed his whiskered face. “Let’s do it!”

Burke intended to make love to her again. He was in need but she jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom and he heard the lock click. Damn, no fun in the shower either. He lay back on his pillow and smiled. Today he was getting married to the prettiest filly he’d ever seen.

He quickly slipped out of bed, put on his jeans and knocked on the door to the bathroom. “Don’t we need some paperwork or something?”

“Oh, heck I didn’t think of that.” The door swung open and there she stood wrapped in a thick white towel. Even with her hair plastered to her head she wowed him. “Last I heard it was a seventy-two hour wait.”

“I can’t be gone that long from my ranch.” He ran his hand through his hair, trying to come up with a solution. “What if we go get the license? I take you back to your apartment and I go home. I’ll make some calls and we’ll be married on Tuesday.” He held his breath, hoping for a positive answer.

Alice smiled and nodded. She squealed in delight when he picked her up and dropped her on the bed. “Should we?”

“Oh, darlin’, we most definitely should.”

****

What a whirlwind of activity. The last few days had him on his toes the whole time. There was never a real day off at the ranch. He wondered if Alice was as pretty as he remembered. He imagined her making dinner, then they’d talk about their day and the best part, he’d strip her naked. Sounded like a great plan. He felt bad for her. Her apartment had been shabby and she had tears in her eyes when she asked if he could pay the rent. Anything to keep her happy. He was the luckiest guy in all of Texas.

License in hand, he traveled to Fort Worth wearing his best black jeans with a black western shirt. Pulling in front of Alice’s apartment his stomach started doing flips. He was more nervous than he’d thought.

Alice ran down the stairs wearing a pretty, blue dress. He wondered how she afforded such a dress. He got out of the truck and before he knew it she was in his arms. “Glad to see me?”

Alice laughed and kissed him. “Of course I am. This is the happiest day of my life. Jen is coming with Dakota. It’s really going to be great!”

“Where’s your stuff or did you want us to come back after to get it?”

“I only have a suitcase. It’s heavy.”

He smiled. “I’ll grab it for you.” The way she looked at him made him feel ten feet tall.

Leaning against his truck in her fancy blue dress, Burke was more convinced than ever that he was making the right decision. He was already looking forward to the wedding night.

It wasn’t a far drive to the Justice of the Peace office. They practically ran up the stone steps in their excitement. Before they knew it the ceremony was over and they hugged and kissed Jen and Dakota good bye. They climbed into the truck and Burke couldn’t wait for their new life to begin.