Capter 4

The whole first year at Hogwarts was miserable for Draco. After Hermione rejected him on the train, Draco had attempted to make friends with Harry Potter but he was in such a bad mood he blew it. To make matters worse, Hermione had latched on to potter. Draco assumed this was to make him jealous, and that just made him even more bitter towards her. Draco soon began to blame Potter for the fact he and Hermione were no longer friends. He had, as Draco saw it, stolen Draco's closest friend and deserved to be punished. Draco resented Potter's friends, his reputation and his personality. Why couldn't Draco be that content with his life?

At school, Draco surrounded himself with 'friends' in an attempt to get back at Hermione and make her jealous but he knew if it came to it, he couldn't rely on them. What they had wasn't really friendship, it was mainly Draco bossing them around and them following him, trying to add some structure to their meaningless lives.

The summers weren't any better. It was hard avoiding Hermione all the time. He had given up trying to win her back, instead turning resentful towards her. Every time he saw her going in or out of her house he sneered at her and once even called her a mudblood!

Eventually, as the years went on, Draco let his mind forget all the time he and Hermione shared, replacing all his need for her with hate and bitterness. He had forgotten how much he needed her until their fifth year at Hogwarts when something happened that changed Draco's whole outlook towards Hermione and her friendship.