Code of Conduct

*Dan's POV*

Later that day when I was rewriting the chapter I had completely screwed up, I got the text from my old editor about the party. Indeed it was going to be Friday as I had overheard PJ tell Phil a couple hours earlier. I leaned back in my swivel chair and sighed, I was going to miss Conner. He was there with me when my first book made it big, and he was the only person I actually trusted to review my work. But I guess I was happy for him, he was going to do even greater things with this new recruitment.

I wanted to be at the party to say goodbye to him, but unfortunately Lester was going to be there also. I couldn't blame him though because it seemed he was good friends with his old editor as well. Since I was going to be seeing Lester a lot more from now on, there was only one thing I figured I had to do. That was to swallow up my pride and try to be civil with him, as my own form of conduct. It was going to be hard, because he irritates the living hell out of me,but this way his presence wouldn't bother me as much. Or at least, this would be restraint practice so that I don't end up making a scene on friday.

Who knew that trying to be civil with the man would prove to be impossible though.

****************
*Tuesday*

I had to go to the company because I wanted to ask PJ of how our regular schedule would be. I walked into the lobby at the same time as him . What the hell was he doing there? Stopping myself from immediately insulting, I forced my mouth to form a smile and greeted him politely.

"Afternoon Lester,what brings you here at this time?" I said through clenched teeth. I really was trying my hardest. He looked at me shockingly for a few seconds,then scoffed, "Haha very funny Howell trying to be civilized ey? Fine I'll play along. Maybe we can even share a cup of tea with our top hats and pocket watches later?"

This guy was not helping me want to be nice to him. "I'm not insulting you, so you can cut the sass."

"Please, when are you ever nice to me?"

"Right now...are you literally stupid, I am trying to be nice right now." What the fuck, was he trying to start a fight?

"You just called me stupid, that isn't very nice"

Shit he had a point, "okay, well anyways what are you doing here? Because I need to discuss important matters with my editor and your presence is kinda screwing me up right now"

He walked into the elevator and held the door open for me, hesitantly I went in and waited for him to respond, which he did after a minute of smirking, "Howell your stories are terribly depressing."

Wait that didn't answer my question, what the hell! "Excuse me?.... I believe that was not the answer to my question."

"Well in a way it does answer it, here in this elevator, who do you see?"

"Um, Dimbo? It's just us two"

"Exactly,we have two people, two authors who write completely different genres... I just happen to be the better one."

"Motherfluffer I did not ask for your shitty opinion. I just want to know WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

The elevator reached the floor to PJ's office, and when the doors opened Phil stepped out quickly, turned to me and said, "I am the better one,and therefore I am going to discuss important matters with MY editor. Bye Howell." Before I could get out, he forced the doors shut again and it automatically began to go down.

I frantically pushed the button of the 5th floor but the doors opened to reveal I was back in the lobby and some guy in a suit walked in and pushed the 6th floor button. It was awkward standing next to a pristine looking man, I was a slob in comparison.

When my floor came,I rushed out of the elevator almost knocking the suit guy over. Damn that Lester.

Panting, and out of breath,I opened the doors to PJ's office. They both turned to look at me and I saw Phil's smug smile plastered on his lips.

"Oh Dan, hello, I didn't know you were coming in today. Well I didn't know either of you were going to be here." PJ said.

"Yea well I came to discuss my regular schedule with you but" I glanced at Phil, "I guess I could come back tomorrow."

"Looks like you got here to late Howell." Lester said with a wink.

"Phil is here to talk about his schedule as well, if you'd like you can wait outside on the bench."

Is he kidding me, I'm not going to wait for him. "Sorry PJ if it's not right now then tomorrow."

Phil cut in before PJ could say anything, "We can talk about my schedule some other time,Mr. Prissy here can have today." He began to get up, but PJ grabbed his arm.

"Wait Dan ok if he wants to give you this time then I'll agree. But Phil how about we discuss your schedule over dinner today at 7?"

"Well a new place did just open up,so I will accept."

Did our editor really just ask out Lester so casually? And did he say yes? I'm pretty sure this was against the company's code of conduct. I couldn't think more on the matter because he left and PJ was waiting for me to take my seat.

After talking with PJ, I was still thinking about the "date" he had with Phil later tonight. I was irritated with everything that he had done today and even though PJ looked like a nice guy, I wanted to get Phil in trouble.

I wasn't thinking,which is how I wound up at a new restaurant (I hoped it was the right one) with my phone's camera out ready to take picture of the inappropriate coworker cahooting.

Thank the lords,I got the place right because I saw PJ at a table,and a few minutes later Phil entered the building as well.

*AN- PJ asked Phil on a "date"
How will this play out?
Stay tuned as the saga continues..... Please*