Chapter 8: Cale

Edited

School is hell. Home is hell. Everywhere is hell. But in her arms last night, it didn't feel so much like hell.

Why? I tried my hardest to push her away, even stole a kiss, yet she persists with that stupid statement that she'll help me. That's impossible. At first, I thought I'd finally done enough to push her away for good but instead, she's even more convinced than ever to help me. What's wrong with her? Maybe I didn't try hard enough. I don't like nosy people and I don't know where Maya stands; is she nosy or does she care?

It's easy to say no to a girl only looking for sex but to someone like Maya... it's just complicated. She doesn't know when to give up. She can't know what happened to me. She's wasting her time. Too bad. She can't help me. Nobody can. Even I can't. It's beyond anyone's control. It's her fault. That devil. That witch. That demon. I hate her guts. I don't hate as passionately as I do her. It's all her fault. Everything. Maybe I would be normal if it weren't for her.

"Hey, Cale!" Maya says from behind me.

I recognize her voice now. She's the only girl that constantly talks to me. All my other friends are dudes. Though Maya isn't a friend.

I ignore her, walking faster to class. She just sits next to me, oblivious to my strong hints.

"Listen, Maya, you really need to mind your own business! You can't help me, so stop trying to do so. I don't need help, I need a job, I need to get out of school."

"Cale, I'm not giving up. No point trying to change my mind." She says with a smile on her face.

I narrow my eyes at her. Why is she smiling? It irritates me more than anything, her carefree, innocent smile. That's why I kissed her last night, to hopefully never have to see that smile again and there she is, smiling to all her glory.

"Was that kiss not enough?" I challenge.

Her face slowly changes from smiling to deep-in thought.

"Well, it would have been if it weren't you. You stole my first kiss and I am still very angry about that, but after that you..." She trails off looking ahead.

I furrow my eyebrows at her. What did I do?

"Never mind. My point being I couldn't stay mad at you. I'm not giving up."

Her first kiss? Should I feel bad? I really don't. Virgins make their first everything so special.

Class starts and she pays attention to class. I already beat her at one maths test, which really satisfies me. The way she focuses on class is really interesting. She's not bored or anything, she seems to be actually enjoying herself, processing all this new information. No wonder she's good in class. Her shoulder-length silver hair makes her stand out which I find a bit bizarre for someone who doesn't seem to want to stand out all that much.

I observe her facial features. Nice cheekbones. She has nice small lips that are peach-coloured. Her eyelashes are long and she doesn't seem to be wearing a lot of makeup. She's the type of girl that's naturally pretty without any effort of some sort. And she has amber eyes.

Those amber eyes of her turn to look at me. She can see me from the corner of her eye. She frowns slightly.

"What?" She says stifling out a little laugh.

"Nothing," I say looking back at the board.

"Do you need help?" She teases as she leans towards my desk.

Her shirt is low and I can't help but look down before looking away. She looks up at me puzzled.

"What?"

"Your shirt."

She looks down quickly and then sits upright in her seat again, pulling it up, her cheeks tinted pink. 

Cute.

She looks at me smirking.

"Why were you even looking there?" She asks rather rhetorically.

"I'm a guy. I may not like being around girls but that doesn't mean my habits change."

"That's if you have those habits to start with."

"And I do," I say looking at her intently.

"That's contradictory. So you don't like girls or like being near them, but you still check them out and can be turned on by them?"

"I guess so."

I take out my water bottle and start drinking.

"Are you gay?"

I choke on my water spitting half of it out. Where did she think that up?!

"Are you alright there Harvey?"

I nod taking a moment to breathe.

"Just fine, sir," I tell Mr Dawson loudly.

Then I turn to an amused Maya. This girl.

"I'm not gay." I hiss at her.

"Oh okay. Not like it would be bad if you were."

"You almost killed me back there," I say changing the subject.

I hate it when people ask if I'm gay. Just because I don't hook up with every girl that comes my way doesn't mean I'm gay and I have my reasons for not wanting to.

Once it's lunchtime I hurry to get a sandwich then go out in the grass. Peacefulness. No Maya. No annoying guys to talk about their sexual conquests. Just me and my thoughts. Sometimes I don't want to hear them. Sometimes it's better to just forget everything.

"Hello."

My eyes fling open and I get up abruptly. What's she doing here? During my me time.

"Go away."

"I like you too!" Maya replies kidding around.

"Don't you have friends?"

"Gigi is absent today."

"I repeat, don't you have friendsss."

"Gigi is all I need. And besides, I have you now so I don't need more."

Since when are we 'friends'?