Chapter Seven

She wakes up to the sound of bell. Something that can only be heard coming from a huge hanging bell like a tsurigsne or a bonshõ.

She tries to sit up but her body aches in all places. She saw that her feet was wrapped in brownish cloth and the smell of herbal attacks her senses.

She looked around. Seems to be like a small room made of wood. Basic furniture of short table and two cushions at the centre on her right. Small cupboard also made of wood beside her. She finds herself lying on a futon.

She gets up eventually, biting her lip to withstand the pain, and slowly walks towards the door.

Sliding it open, cold mountainous air pierced her skin and she trembled. Her eyes burnt from the strong sun as she takes some time to adjust. Shielding her eyes using her left hand, she then realise what is in front of her.

Lush greenery of proninence forest surrounding the area that can only be described as temples. A lot of buildings surrounding the area. She can also see a courtyard where young group of yellow clad teenagers are training.

She could also see monks everywhere, some walking around bowed. Some with books in their hands, talking, looking ahead as if pondering. And another looks to be walking towards her.

As the monk nears, she discovers that the monk is a she.

'Where am I? she asks loudly. She puts on a brave face and look at the emcee straight in the eyes.

The monk smile but said nothing. She Emiko notices now that she carries a tray of rice and soup with tea. The monk put the tray on the table in the room and say, 'Taberu.' Eat.

On que, her stomach rumbles loudly. Her face heat up with embarassment.

She sits and eat. The monk sits quietly in front of her and meditate.

Emiko watches the monk who sits with her legs cross and the thighs form a wide base of support. Her spine straight and her face filled with peace and serenity.

She envies that. She wish can get back the feeling of joy and content in life with her parents.

She wish they are still alive.

She abruptly put the bowl of rice down on the table with the thump. Her heart is racing and her breath, disarray.

She still couldn't face their death. She pushes the memory away.

The monk is looking at her rather knowingly. As if she knows what is bothering inside of her.

The monk get up and make a gesture with her hand for Emiko to follow her.

Together they walk, the monk in front while she follows behind, towards the courtyard. She thought that they will stop there but they were merely passing. She saw a pair was training with some type of curved swords while the others watching.

Strange. She never thought that peaceful monks learn martial arts. Why on earth would they need it for? Then she remembers the man with the dragon tattoo. He killed her parents with a some sort of long, straight blade. She continue to watch them as she walk until they are no more in her sight.

They walk into a narrow grassy path in the forest. She began to perspire despite the cold air. Her heart hammers as she wonders where is the monk taking her.

'Where are we going?' she tried asking, trying to cover her nervousness.

The monk stop, just look back with a smile but continue walking.

They walked until Emiko began to feel light-headed. And before she could tell the monk to stop, they finally arrived at a small looking hut on top of a big rock.

She realised that they are almost at the top of the mountain.

The monk push the bamboo door with a creak, and Emiko follows her inside.

In the middle of the hut, sits an old monk in the meditation Buddha pose, smiling serenely with eyes closed.

He utters a soft, 'Welcome, child.'