Chapter 12

A flash of blonde hair caught Valerie's eye when she walked beneath the arches of the Guild of the Knights of Light. Oleander was walking the perimeter of the courtyard with Kellen, deep in conversation.

The sight made Valerie's stomach clench. The injustice of Midnight's killers walking around unpunished made her sick. But picking a fight with the new Grand Master of the Guardians of the Boundary would only cement her in everyone's mind as the unstable little girl that Kellen was painting her to be. The news that her power had led to Azra's pregnancy had made the Conjurors in her guild stare at her more than ever, and she never had a moment where she wasn't conscious that her every move was being scrutinized.

"She's been here all morning," Juniper said, joining Valerie in their usual corner.

"I wish we could hear what they're saying," Valerie said.

"You're about the last people they'd tell anything important to," Claremont said, nosing into their conversation with a smug grin on her face. "I know what's going on, but all I'm authorized to say is that the future of our Guild is in good hands."

"Right, I'm sure you're in the inner circle," Juniper said, his voice laced with derision.

"Closer than you are," Claremont bit back.

"Let the big kids finish talking," Juniper taunted.

Claremont turned red, and Valerie was sure she was about to attack again, when Kellen's voice resounded around the courtyard.

"I'm pleased to let everyone know that the Knights and Guardians are declaring a formal alliance," Kellen said.

"Alliance? Against who?" Juniper whispered to Valerie.

"Maybe it's not who it's against, but who it's in support of," she whispered back.

"The old ideas about how guilds are run has become outdated," Oleander said to the group, her voice musical. It didn't hurt that she was beautiful, too, and the Knights all listened. "It doesn't make sense for guilds to be like islands, each with its own rules and secrets. It's time to band together for a brighter future with the Fractus."

"We must help in the mission to return to Earth and save the humans from themselves. And for Conjurors to return home after centuries away," Kellen said, and Valerie saw Oleander shoot him an annoyed glance that she quickly hid. She didn't like having her little speech interrupted.

"Starting today, each of the members of our guilds will be interviewed to determine the best role for you in this new vision of the future. There is real work to be done, and there is a place for everyone with a willing heart," Oleander said.

"And for those of us who refuse?" Mira spoke up, his voice loud in the courtyard. Valerie was surprised that he would question Kellen's decision.

"Like you, I used to think of the Fractus as the enemy. But my eyes have been opened. The Fractus are going to be the winning team this time, and anyone who doesn't want to be a part of that should leave," Kellen said, his words clipped. "But what do you think those who oppose the Fractus are going to wind up with? Nothing!"

"The Knights have always decided the direction of the Guild by vote," Gideon spoke up, his usually quiet voice carrying over the crowd. Valerie wondered how he had snuck in past Kellen's thugs, but she was relieved he was there. "Are you our leader, or our dictator?"

A murmur of agreement followed Gideon's words, and Kellen began turning red, a telltale sign that he was angry.

"He's right," Mira said. "We vote on the new direction, or else we vote on a new leader."