Chapter 16

The first thing Valerie registered when she woke up the next morning was that Pathos was beneath her pillow, as it had been every day before Kellen had taken it from her. She reached for the hilt, but having it in her grip didn't bring her the same security she'd always had when she'd touched it before, so she let it go. She tried to push herself up to a seated position, but the pain from Kellen's magic still smoldered in her bones. Someone handed her a warm towel, and she wiped her face.

"Welcome back," Cyrus said, his tone overly cheery. "You look like hell."

Valerie grinned a little, but it sent sparks of pain through her face. "That's why I love you. Your charm."

Oberon cleared his throat. "You scared us, Daughter."

Valerie looked around the room to see who else was there.

"Kanti and Henry are sleeping in his room," Cyrus said. "Gideon is scouring the woods to make sure Ani and Kellen have been taken care of, and Azra is outside nearby if we need her. Summer is giving her a checkup."

"Summer?" Valerie asked, confused.

"She used to be a doctor to the centaurs. Since there are no other unicorns to help guide Azra through her pregnancy, Summer's the closest species. She says she'll be able to deliver her baby safely," Oberon explained.

It was good to think about something other than her pain. Valerie imagined a tiny Azra, and the thought made her smile. In spite of all the darkness that she had encountered over the past year, it was good to know there were little pinpoints of light along the way, too.

"Now that you have had some rest, you must begin building up your store of magic," Oberon said sternly. "Yesterday proves that your enemies are circling."

The thought of calling upon her magic was exhausting, but she knew her father was right.

"I do not wish to overwhelm you, but you must know that as a vivicus and leader, these attacks will not cease. You must always be on your guard," Oberon continued.

Until the Balance is restored. Azra's head poked through Valerie's window. Oberon arched a brow in question, and Azra explained. New words were etched on Pathos binding Valerie, Henry, Kanti, and Cyrus together as the Pillars of Light.

The color drained from Oberon's face.

"Dad, what is it?" Valerie asked.

Oberon hesitated before speaking. "Your mother spoke of a prophecy about the Pillars of Light that we never understood. Before she received the prophecy in its entirety, an old Oracle named Mer interrupted."

"Mer was the one who told me you were alive!" Valerie said excitedly, forgetting her pain.

"I would not have expected that he still dwelled in the Roaming City," Oberon said. "I heard he was to be exiled for entering the sacred rings during your mother's prophecy."

"What did she learn before Mer interrupted?" Henry asked, and Valerie saw that he was standing in her doorway with Kanti, rubbing his eyes.

"She said there were four pillars of light, and one would fall into darkness. Only if that pillar was rebuilt would the Globe find the Balance," Oberon said, and then his voice turned a little angry. "Neither she nor I ever imagined that the pillars would be children. Haven't you been burdened with enough?"

Valerie realized the gravity of her father's revelation first. "One of us must fall... Do you mean be wounded? Die?"

Oberon bowed his head, not responding.