Chapter 5: Chasing What We Lost

Despite the events that occurred yesterday, I slept like a rock last night. Everyone in the house slept well. I could even sleep through Dwayne's snoring. I woke up and saw that Nate has already been up and has gone downstairs.

"Morning," I said with a slight smile. Nate acknowledged my presence by nodding his head in my direction while taking a sip of what smelled like hot tea. Annie was downstairs too and she was making breakfast.

"Morning Eli," she said cheerfully, "I've made bacon and eggs this morning," she said as she prepared a plate for me. I graciously take the plate and began to wolf down on the food. I haven't realized how hungry I was until I asked for seconds.

As time went by, more and more people began waking up and coming downstairs. They all ate their fill and we all sat around the table talking and laughing with one another like one big happy family. We were lastly joined by Mr. Brooks who looked as tired as we were last night.

"Morning everyone. Hope you all slept well," he said with a yawn. I needed to tell him that we need to go out and get supplies. I just don't know how he'll handle it.

"Mr. Brooks," I started completely forgoing my thoughts, "I think that we need to go out and get supplies. Our current supplies won't last us any longer than a week."

He thought to himself quietly and finally answers.

"Alright. But only three can go. The rest must stay here. Both of my daughters shall go."

We all looked at him puzzled except Annie and Chloe. They just sat there smiling to themselves. Creepy.

"I don't want to sound rude," I said cautiously, "But don't you want your daughters safe?"

He just chuckled.

"I've taught both of my daughters how to use guns. I think they'll be fine," he said with a smile, "I also happen to own a few guns too. Only they may use them. I highly doubt any of you have had any gun training."

It's true. I've never shot a gun before. Hopefully he would teach us.

"Then who else will go?" Joel said curiously.

"We need clothes, water, food, and medicine," Mr. Brooks said as he scanned around the room, "Nate. Annie has told me your dad is a doctor?"

Nate nodded in silence.

"I'm assuming he's taught you a lot about his profession," Mr. Brooks said.

"Yes sir," Nate responded, "I visit his office every weekend and sit there."

"Well then it's settled. Nate you shall accompany my daughters on the supply run. You know what meds we need," Mr. Brooks said with a hearty smile. I could tell Nate was a little nervous because his face turned a more pale version of its usual color.

"You can drive correct Nate?" Mr. Brooks asked.

"I can," Nate responded.

"Great. You can take my car. It's in the garage," Mr. Brooks said as he threw Nate the keys, "Don't damage her too hard. I just got her painted last week."

Nate gulped and pushed his hair away from his face. He regained his composure.

"I'll do my best," he said with determination.

"The rest of you will be helping me in the house chores," Mr. Brooks said with a slight grin.

Nate subtly let out a sigh of relief. Zoey punches Nate in the arm. As Nate turned around to face Zoey, she just smiles.

"Annie, Chloe, Nate. I'm trusting you all to return in one piece," Mr. Brooks said. They all nodded and walked towards the laundry room which had the door leading to the garage. Mr. Brooks car was a black SUV.