Chapter 14: Walk It Off

Viewpoint: Eli

I looked at his lifeless corpse on the ground and then back up to at Athena to search for some sign of emotion. She just stared blankly at his body, but I saw that she was shaking.

"Eli! Athena!" I heard someone scream from behind. I turned around and I saw that Dwayne, Zoey, Kristen, Joel, and Owen were running towards us.

"Jesus..." Zoey said, as she and the rest arrived. "What happened to him?" she asked.

"Lurker," I said, in an emotionless tone.

"Is she okay?" Kristen asked timidly, as she referred to Athena.

"Yeah, I'm-" Athena was interrupted by a sudden move to bend over and vomit profusely. I looked away at the sight. I saw everyone else cover their mouths to try and prevent themselves from spewing chunks.

"You'll get used to it," Owen said, as he chuckled slightly. "When you've seen your entire camp just dead, it kind of numbs you to it," he said, in a sarcastic tone. I rolled my eyes at his remark.

"What's the plan now?" Dwayne asked. "First, we were hunted by the neighborhood and now we're being hunted by the military? Some crazy shit if you ask me."

"We do the only thing we can do: we keep going. We don't stop for anything, we find a place to settle, and make a living for ourselves," I said, in a slightly inspiring tone. "We look out for each other because we are family now, all of us."

"But what happens if the military finds us? Or even another group that wants what's ours?" Kristen asked.

"We try and negotiate, make a deal. The resources of this world are too scarce to pass up an offer. Everyone wants something," I responded.

"We have an escaped convict and a traitor with us," Dwayne said, in a skeptical tone. "They'll obviously want them."

"We can't give them up," I said, in a defending tone. "They both helped us to escape and they promised to look out for us." They both nodded.

"This is an executive decision," I said. "They will come with us, whether or not everyone likes it or not."

Dwayne nodded reluctantly. "I trust you man," he said, as he scratched the back of his head. Everyone else nodded. I kinda saw the role of a leader that I played in this group, even though I didn't expect to be.

"Um guys?" Kristen said softly. "Where's Annie and Nate?" she asked.

"Annie ran off somewhere and I guess Nate chased after her," I responded.

"Where would they be?" Joel asked. "They couldn't have gotten far. I'm assuming they heard the gunshots. Do we wait for them?"

"I have a feeling I know where they went," I said, as I started to walk back to the direction of Bellaniva. "Follow me."

________________________________

Viewpoint: Nate

I managed to calm Annie down after hugging it out. We both sat on the ground across from each other, both too awkward to say anything.