Chapter 18- Part two

Tom’s own eyes blurred with his own tears as he ran across the room, his stride as determined as in training. Before I could realize, my own legs were running towards him until we crashed into one another and clung to each other with every ounce of strength we could muster.

“I’ve missed you so much Allie. When you left for the garden’s, I heard your scream and thought you were gone from me.” He nuzzled into my hair and I collapsed against him, the tears falling even more until his shirt was wet.

“I can’t believe how much has happened since we last spoke, if I had known the men were after you as well, I’d have stayed with you. I should have been there for you!” I gripped him tighter, afraid that if I let him go, he’d be gone again.

He stroked my hair and made noises of comfort, “You couldn’t have known, they would have gotten me sooner or later and we can face this together now.” He pulled me away at arms length to look at me and smiled, his cheeks damp with his own tears as I felt my smile form. “I’m so glad you’re here.” I breathed, my heart feeling relieved that he was okay.

“The moment Edmund came home and told me the girl was you, I knew my suspicions were correct. I wanted to see you as soon as I could, even if it meant coming so early.” He laughed, the sound making me so happy I couldn’t stop smiling. After a few moments I stepped back and looked at him properly. His build seemed broader, his shoulders with more muscle, probably the benefit of being male with the change. I grinned and he looked down at the bow, an eyebrow rising in question.

“Couldn’t sleep so I thought I’d train. Speaking of training, I hear your gift is proving different.” I explained. He smiled, a little pride coming through as he laughed.

“It’s weird at first but father says my control is good and I should be able to protect over ten people if I work hard enough.” The thought of protecting people rather than fighting them gave me a slight pang of jealousy; he’d never have to kill to defend if he chose not to. I swallowed down the thought and smiled.

“Impressive, I’d love to see a demonstration at some point.” He smiled in response and his eyes lit up.

“Maybe when you attempt to attack me, I can show you. I hear your fighting will only get better, I’ll need all the protection I can muster.” He chuckled.

“Hmmmm you’re on.” At the words my stomach growled and Tom’s chuckle turned to laughter again. “Seems your appetite never stopped with the change, although, neither did mine. I’m pretty hungry myself, never got chance.” He gestured to me and I bit back laughing.

“Lets go and eat, I’m sure Lucy will allow us to raid the kitchen.”  He raised an eyebrow in question, “Is that the girl that let me in?” I nodded. I knew I had a lot to tell him, these past days having held more drama then a lifetime in most. I placed the bow back on the table and gestured for him to follow me as we made our way through the corridor to the kitchen.

*        *           *         *

I leaned back against the chair, my hunger gone and my mind at ease knowing that Tom was here with me, instead of alone. After eating what we could find, much to Lucy’s annoyance, we made our way to one of the studies. Lighting the fireplace and settling in the two chairs, both worn with use and large enough to fit two people on. I looked over at Tom and saw him gazing into the fireplace, deep in thought, as if the flames would hold the answer to his worries. I chuckled under my breath and it brought him back to the study and his gaze moved to me, a question in his face.

“You look so serious staring at the fire, what troubles you?” I smiled but I felt it fade as his face remained serious, the humor from the training room gone.