Chapter 21- A Journey in the Moonlight

As we walked to the front door, my mind seemed to wander, curious about what lay beyond that door. Since the change, I’d not stepped foot outside, not seen the birds in the sky, the smoke from the chimneys, nor seen the carriages trot past with the sound of hooves against the stone roads. For some reason, I knew that when I walked into the open air, I’d be beginning something new, a new life that was far from the expectations of becoming a lady. I would be forever hunted and forever a killer, never again able to practice my curtseys with Lizzy.

Since the situation with Tom, he’d disappeared off to fetch his coat, refusing to explain anymore about his heightened moods, the way his touch lingered and his gaze stared too far into my own. After brushing off with Ray, I’d escaped to sort myself out, clipping my hair at the nape of my neck, waiting in the hallways for the others, marking each section in my mind of the blueprint while I waited, memorizing every last detail of the location. When the masked ball arrived tomorrow, I’d be ready.

Now, staring at the back of the main door, focusing on the detail of the oak, my courage was beginning to falter, my plans of the future fading. I’d kept to my training attire, the effort of putting on all the petit-coats and corset lace made me mentally groan so instead, I reveled in the feel of the shirt and breaches, the leather boots that wrapped up to above the knee and the waistcoat I’d been leant. Footsteps sounded and I turned, bracing for Tom but finding myself surprised to see Michael. Of course, he was coming too. I reminded myself. He wore basic dress attire; a longer coat wrapped around him and a top hat under his arm, in his other hand was another hat. I raised an eyebrow and stared up at his face, seeing an amusement twinkle in his eyes and a grin slapped on.

“Here” He held out the hat as he neared, the grin never faltering.

I exhaled sharply, “You’re not seriously suggesting I wear a hat? I’m not wearing a dress but that doesn’t mean I’m going to start wearing that, next it’ll be a monocle.” I added, glaring as he chuckled in response.

“Relax, this is only for the trip. Lucian figured it was a good idea you stuck to more…manly attire, as it will attract less attention to you. The top hat is more to hide your face a little in the shadows, we don’t want the Order’s spies seeing you.” He mentioned.

I sighed, he was right. I took the hat from him, tucking and gathering my hair together, arranging it to hide the length as I slipped the hat on, adjusting and hearing a stifled laugh from Michael. I slapped his arm mockingly, “Oh I bet you’re loving this.” I huffed.

He chuckled harder, “More than you know it.” He winked. This man was impossible, I thought. His chuckling slowly faded as more footsteps approached and Ray rushed down the main stairs, Tom a little behind. Both wore the similar dress clothes, Tom’s coat was a little shorter, like mine as he already had his top hat on, eager to be gone from this place probably. As Ray slowly reached the bottom, I noticed he didn’t have a hat, his golden hair shining against the candlelight like its own flame, a beacon. His purple eyes fell on mine and he widened them, letting his gaze travel to the hat and his lips to twitch in a smile as well. I rolled my eyes and was grateful when Tom gave a smile of reassurance instead.

As Ray approached, I saw a question appearing about my head wear so I snapped my hand up, meeting his eyes, “Not one word on the topic, don’t even think about it.”

He smiled, “Wouldn’t dream of it.” Was his response as he grabbed a cane from the stand and pulled the door open, holding it wide for us to walk through and out onto the streets. The bitter cold of the winter began to creep onto my skin, latching on and refusing to let go; I shivered and pulled my coat around me, letting the collars wrap around my neck as my breath became visible. The streets were dead, not a soul was visible as I peered down either side of the end before walking down the steps and up to the black carriage at the bottom. The coachman sat perched at the top seat, the reins in one hand as his hat fell over his face, hiding his features. If it weren’t for my improved eyesight, I’d have missed the slight point in his ears, the way his fingers looked longer than usual against the reins. Of course the coachman wasn’t going to be human, that’d be just too normal now wouldn’t it. What he was exactly I couldn’t quite place, I’d not been in this world long enough, and with the others on my heels, I hurried inside the carriage and settled into the seat on the far left side, shutting the curtains and watching as the others settled down too. Tom sat next to me, Ray opposite and Michael took up the seat space next to Ray, shutting the door and banging the top of the carriage moments before we were lurched out of our seats slightly and the horses pulled us along.

“That coachman, what was with his ears?” Tom murmured to us. So he’d seen it to. I was glad he’d asked, my own curiosity was getting the better of me.

Michael smiled, “He’s a Fae from the Seelie Court.” He replied.

Tom looked at him in confusion, his eyebrows merging together, “He’s a fairy?”

Michael laughed again, the sound becoming so familiar and welcoming that I couldn’t help but smile, he had that affect on people. “Don’t let him hear you calling him that, he’d slice you to pieces. His mother was part pixie though.” He added. I stifled a laugh at how he tried to process the information. I pated his shoulder, bringing him out of his moment and seeing him smile to himself slightly.

He swallowed, “Sorry, it’s just….. hard to process that all this actually exists.” With that, a chuckle sounded outside of the carriage, making me jump and look in confusion.

“You better believe it, boy.” The voice said, the laughter fading as a snap of the reins sounded and we moved faster, it took a moment to realize that the words had come from the ever-hearing coachman....