Chapter 23- A Kiss on The Eve...

The carriage ride home became a blur, the walk back inside, a blur. Everything seemed to fuse together to create one long moment that became irrelevant. The only things in my mind were of what had just occurred, what is yet to happen, for tonight was the Eve of the ball. I will face the Order after everything, not their spies, nor their vampire slaves, the Immortal Bloodlines that changed everything will look into my eyes as I peer into theirs.

Now, standing here in my bedchambers, spinning the familiar blade between my fingers and allowing the chair beside the bed to hold comfort, I allowed the emotions that had plagued my dreams, my training, to fuse together, molding them like Papa used to say, creating a ball of energy that formed one emotion. Determination.

I closed my eyes, allowing the ball to expand, the years of training flooding my memories in a tidal wave across my mind, hearing Papa’s voice as if he were standing right here beside me.

“I did it Papa! Look!” I screamed, clutching the bow to my body as I jumped in the air and giggled, my plaits falling around my face as I stared at the arrow, now embedded into the target.

“I’m so proud of you sweetheart! You’re going to be so strong, my little Allie.” Papa applauded, crouching down to my height and smiling, his eyes lighting up his features.

This girl of my memories was much smaller, much younger as those innocent green eyes blazed at her father, gazing into those eyes with adoration and the same determination, to be the strongest, the toughest. To make Papa proud.

“But Papa…what if the bad men get me?” My younger self questioned, her small lips scrunching up in thought.

He merely smiled, the gesture softening his features more as he cupped my cheek.

“Never. Those bad men will run for the hills, they will run home, telling the stories of Almira Thorn with her bow and blade.” He chuckled, the sound echoing and fading as a knock sounded. The door.

I opened my eyes, snapping out of the memory and back into the room. The knock continued to sound. I huffed and rose, storming over to the door and opening it harshly. I was about to tell whomever it was to leave me be when Tom’s eyes stared into mine, the mercury colour so vivid, it left me speechless. His features looked tight, his expression on edge.

I stepped forward, “What is it? What’s wrong?” I began to question.

He silently asked if he could come inside and I backed into the room, allowing Tom to close the door behind him and stride over to where I was.

He swallowed, “I came to see how you were.” He merely said, his gaze still boring into mine.

“I’m fine.” I replied, offering a small smile.

“No you’re not. You have the others fooled, but not me. It’s like you forget how long I’ve known you.” He snapped, biting his lip and widening his eyes at his bluntness.

“I-I didn’t mean that.” He stammered, his hand furiously running through his hair, making the sight tighten something inside of me. He exhaled sharply and I could tell something was on the tip of his tongue.

“What’s it?” I walked up to him, taking his clenched hand in mine, “You know you can tell me anything. It pains me so much seeing you like this, so troubled. It isn’t like you at all.” I finished. He didn’t respond, he simply continued to look into my eyes, the clenched hand in mine opened out as he brushed his fingertips along my knuckles, causing me to shiver and my heart to clench.

Before I could ask the question again, his lips pressed against mine, his hand moving to cup my jaw as he lingered, the softness of his lips causing my body to react in ways that didn’t seem possible. The contact lasted a mere second, his lips retreating; the absence of them on my own had me feeling unusual.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know…” The sentence trailed off as I ran my thumb along his cheek, my fingers caressing his jaw and along his lips, the gesture making his breath hitch as I leaned up and kissed him back. For a moment, he didn’t respond and doubt began to seep in. The thought had appeared no more than half a second before he returned the kiss, his arms wrapping around me as his lips moved with mine. I couldn’t believe I was doing this, something hidden deep inside seemed to control my actions and for some reason, it felt right kissing Tom, as easy as breathing.

I pulled away and pressed my forehead against his, my breaths coming out harsher. Tom kept his arms locked around me.

“I’ve waited so long to do that.” He whispered, kissing my forehead and peering down into my eyes as he smiled back, his eyes lighting up, looking so striking, so compelling.

All I could do was stare into them as something began to fall into place, an emotion cascading over me, both thrilling me and frightening me… 

*      *    *   * 

A small chapter before the action begins. I thought it'd be nice to allow a little romance before all the events of the story begin to fall into place.