Chapter Nine

Dear Harry,

You remember I said that my father didn't want us to be friends? I was wrong. He is very much okay with us being friends. Not that it will make much difference anyway, but there you go.

I'm writing as you suggested - because I am bored out of my mind. There really is nothing to do here. However, some good has come of this holiday: Christmas presents! And guess what I got? A snake! She's beautiful, dark green with black spots down her back and these amazing yellow eyes. She's very small right now, about as big as my hand (fingers and palm), but when she's grown she'll be slightly longer that my arm. I've called her Manimi. You get anything good?

I was writing with Pansy Parkinson and Blaise Zabbini (fellow Slytherins, I think you know them?). Blaise got a new broom – the Nimbus 1700 – and he's pissed off because he wanted the 2000 model. Pansy got a kitten. Enough said.

So, not that I care, but how is your Christmas going? Did that muggle family send you anything?

Anyway, I'm going to re-read Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'. For a muggle, he wrote some excellent stuff. Just don't tell my father I was reading muggle novels.

Regards,

Draco

0o0o

Draco,

Manimi sounds really cool. Will you take her to school with you? I'd love to have a pet snake, but I love my owl just the same. Her name is Hedwig; Hagrid got her for me as a birthday present.

For Christmas, I got a few presents. The best was an invisibility cloak! I don't know who sent me it, but they said my father had left it to me, but given to them to look after. It's amazing, and it works really well. Plus, there's enough space for more than one person under it! I also got a Weasley jumper from Ron's mum, which was really nice of her to make.

The muggles sent me socks. I know it sounds bad, but last year they gave me one singular tissue (I had a cold). This is the first year I have ever got proper Christmas presents.

You read Dickens? Ponce.

-Harry