Gone Back Home

The white turned brown chevy roved through the dirt road. It was a long, tiring and bumpy ride for both mother and child; going for hundreds of miles, only stopping to eat and rest. Sally would have given in to exhaustion if it weren't for the babbling two-year beside her and the music of AC/DC blasting through their ears.

We're just talking about the future

Forget about the past

It'll always be with us

It's never gonna die

Never gonna die

"Rock n' roll ain't noise pollution!" Sally sang, turning to face the cooing toddler who seemed to be liking her singing while safely strapped on his baby seat. "Rock n' roll ain't gonna die!"

Lowering the volume, she told her son, "That's what you call rock n' roll, my sweet William."

"Gooh gah gah!!!" William clapped his little hands together which caused a smile on Sally's lips.

The sight of the deep, mysterious rock and earth-combined formations welcomed their view. The canyons had always fascinated Sally even when she was always forbid to go near them as a young girl. She was taught that within those ravines lurk something horrible and dangerous. That was fifteen years ago, Sally thought. Perhaps the canyons are not dangerous as everyone in town believes. What was worth, she was home and the first thing she was going to do was to find her father.

But as she was driving her way to the edge of town where their house stood, the car's engine started to convulse eventually breaking down in the middle of the road.

"Christ!" Sally unbuckled a now wailing William, picked him up and got out of the car. With one hand, she lifted the hood of the vehicle and the engine began coughing black smoke.

"Goddammit!" She screamed, making her son cry harder. There was no signal on her cellular phone, there was nobody near whom she could ask for help.

Suddenly a red pick up truck came into her view. The truck stopped in front of her and out came a man in a blue, dingy overalls. He made sure she could see his smug grin as he walked towards her.

"Well, well... If it ain't this lil' bird lost with 'er young..."

"Oh! It's you!" Sally cried, running to the man with open arms. Little William stopped crying and instead looked up to this stranger who had his arms around his momma.

The name Macario Sanchez spells nothing but trouble. A few years her senior, Mac was known for leading gangs that ambushed and robbed travelers. He was the king of delinquents while Sally and the other kids were either in school or in the church. But Sally disregarded that identity of him. She was just happy to find a familiar face. Some people do get stuck in this town until they grow old.

"I'm happy to see you too, Sal." Mac said. He had known her and her family. She was very close to his half-brother, Devon. He knew her family and how they left when all hell broke loose. Mac put his attention to the staring little boy. "Is this squirt yours?"

"Ba bla da da..." William wasn't scared of the stranger at all. He even tried reaching Mac's face with his tiny arms only Sally told him to behave.

"Yes, he's mine. We're actually heading home but..."

"Home? Where's home?"

"Here's home," Sally said, adjusting William's position against her hips so he'd be more comfortable. "I've gone back for good."

"Alright," Mac nodded. He walked up to Sally's lifeless car. "Well you can't go back to yer ol' man ridin' this shit. You didn't check the radiator if it's still in good condition', didn't cha?"

Sally shook her head.

Mac thought for a moment then said, "I'll send someone to tow your car to the repair shop and I'll see what I can do. That okay?"

"How much will it it take?" Sally asked, already worrying. The money she had was just enough for their journey to Caineville. If worse comes to worst, she had to pawn her gold wedding ring to be able to pay for Mac's services.

"Don't need to worry about it, girl." Mac looked somehow amused to see the cumbersome expression on Sally's face. "Right now, we gotta move you two in my truck. I'll go drive you to your daddy's."

"Thank you so much, I owe you big time." Sally said. Mac chuckled. They moved their things into the back of Mac's truck and set off. During the ride, William fell asleep. Less than an hour later, they came to stop when they reached a light blue-colored bungalow and a mailbox that welcomed their first steps towards the house.

The tire swing attached to a branch of a tree where the kids used to play was still there. It was like everything was still there and nothing had changed.

Sally knocked on the door a few times before a man in his early sixties came out wearing a baseball cap, checkered sleeves and old pants. Joy twinkled through the man's sullen eyes when he saw his daughter and her little boy smiling with tears before him.

There were no words to say, the father embraced his daughter and grandson like there was no tomorrow. Mac stood in the background carrying their bags, he walked towards the reunited family and placed the bags on the porch.

The old man noticed his presence and he didn't look glad to see him. "What are you doing here Macario?"

"Easy, ol' Jones." Mac replied with a smirk. "I was just helping this pretty thing get back to her daddy."

Sally then chimed in and told her father about her car stopping and how Mac was their in God's perfect timing to help them.

"Thank you." Charlie Jones said reluctantly to him. He grabbed the bags and ushered Sally and sleeping William inside the house.

Before getting inside, Sally rushed to give Mac a hug. She thanked him again.

"It's nothing, really. Now go get this lil' bugger inside before he wakes up." Mac said.

"How can I pay you back?"

"You can give me your phone number as a start. I'll give you a call once I fix your car."

Sally didn't hesitate to give her number. She waved him goodbye and watched as his red truck leave her sight. Then she went inside and let William sleep soundly in her old bedroom. She began to unpack their things.

After unpacking, she headed to the kitchen to find something to eat. William was well at ease; he had his formula and biscuits. The cupboard was almost there except there was a pack of instant noodles which would have to do. Although the noodles didn't really hit the spot, she felt her exhaustion starting to fade. She walked to the living room and sat down on the antique mahogany chair with the hopes of catching up with her father who was seated by the window, looking outside.

"How are you, Daddy?" Sally asked with a timid smile.

"Nothing's changed, sweet pea." Charlie answered, breath shaking. "The mystery remains a mystery. God has damned this family, he never answers our prayers no more."

It was all coming back to dawn on her again after seeing her father still broken and grieving. All these years they tried to forgot and move on, Sally thought she already had; she left, got married, had a baby still she found herself going back to where it all started.

Sally came up to him and hugged him. "Daddy, we're here now and we'll never leave each other's side. Whatever happens, we'll face it all together" she said, unsure that her words would help mend their hearts.

Talk about the future and forget the past-- some things are easier said than done.