That Magic Feeling

She'd been working in the repair shop for three weeks already, only taking day off's on weekends. Apart from doing what was assigned to her, she helped around, tending some parts that needed paint and cleaning. She needed not to be asked. Mac was truly impressed with her diligence. He secretly watched her chat with an old couple who had brought in their Ford Anglia to the shop.

"I'm sure it's nothing we can't fix, ma'am, sir." He heard Sally speak to the couple. "Mr. Edward here will fix your car in no time. For the meantime you sit and wait here, I'll just be at my desk if you need anything."

And without an hour passing, just like she said, the car was easily repaired and Mr. and Mrs. were pleased. They paid with a good amount of gratuity and went on their way.

Ed licked his finger and counted the money. He did this in front of Sally who didn't seem to mind. Her eyes were stuck on a book. Mac was right about this Ed guy; he'd constantly hit on her and she'd have to do everything to avoid him.

Mac came in and slapped the back of Ed's head. "Get your sorry ass outta here Ed," he told him. Ed cursed but did what his friend said. Mac asked Sally, "You alright?"

Sally nodded and put her book away.

"Look, I'm punching out early." Mac said. "You're welcome to come with me."

"Okay." Sally said without hesitation. Anything that will get me away from your friend will do.

So they drove off to nowhere in particular, Sally got used to Mac taking them to places without telling her. They had a joy ride in the city once, a trip to Wendover, the  border between Utah and West Nevada. They did it from the early morning of work hours until the late afternoon so Sally wouldn't have to come home late. Almost anywhere near they had gone too...except for one place.

"Daddy tells me no reason why I can't go to Luna Mesa... Did he and Uncle Walter have a misunderstanding before?" Sally wondered.

"I don't think so. Charlie has always been a nice fellow." Mac said.

"I know he's not fond of me going back. He tells me to stay away from the places us family used to go to, he doesn't want me around you, your dad and even with Devon. He had shut himself from the world since Samuel. And now he expects me to do the same." Sally began to pour her heart out. "But I'm not gonna listen to him. I'm not afraid like him. I don't want to dwell in the past anymore because it's only holding me back. I want a new life."

Mac only listened. When Sally couldn't contain her emotions and started weeping, Mac pulled over and took Sally in his arms.

"There, there darling," he whispered in her ear while Sally cried on his shoulder. "Just let it all out..."

Sally stopped crying and took a deep breath. She removed herself from Mac's embrace and apologized. "I'm very sorry, Mac. I tried not to cry for a long time but I just can't..."

"Don't be sorry, Sal." Mac said as he moved forward and held her chin. He kissed her cold, trembling lips and Sally didn't budge.

He kissed her until he felt her respond a little. Mac smiled and pecked her lips before gettings his hands back on the wheel.

The house where Mac lived was pretty much like Sally's. Both stood in a distance, almost away from civilization. Canyons, not houses were standing nearby. Sally couldn't take her eyes off the "No Trespassing" sign that hung in one of the openings.

They got out of the truck and Mac led her to his home. A stream of memories came rushing to Sally. The house, became the playground of Sally, Samuel, Devon and Regina, Devon's sickly sister. Those were the times when their fathers were like best of friends. The four of them would play and do their homeworks in the house together. Mac being the older kid, would bring his friends over and taunt them.

Everything seemed so vivid in Sally's mind. Now, nothing but pictures filled the room and as Mac went to grab them something to drink, Sally found herself sitting down, thinking of what would have happened if everyone of them was still around.

"There had been an accident..." Sally's head went up when Mac came in with two bottles of Pilsen. "Uh..you okay with beer right?"

"Yes, thank you." Sally said, taking a bottle. "What happened?"

"It was lil' Reggie..." Mac started and took a swig. "Months after what happened to your brother, Reggie was found dead. Her death was a mystery as well. We were all damned but Devon was the most affected, he was never the same since. He did the same thing you did-- ran away. He's now somewhere in the north I guess."

"Is he...is he not coming back?" Sally didn't know what else to say.

Mac shook his head, "Too bad my half-brother don't have the balls like you. He's better off on his own anyway.."

"I'm sorry... I never knew.."

"Now you do," Mac sighed. "That makes the two of us...losing somebody we love. At least you've got your little Will and your Dad. Mine's always pretended I never exist. It was always Devon and Reggie, his favorite. Now with them two being gone..."

It was Sally's turn to be the friend. She put her bottle down and wrapped her arms around Mac. "Damaged people gravitate towards damaged people," she said to him.

"That's kinda deep, Sal." Mac chuckled.

"We've been through the same hell," Sally ran a hand through his hair, her fingers stopped and lingered on the nape of his neck. "Maybe if we help help each other, it'll get better."

Mac felt that there was nothing more to say. He pulled her to him and kissed her fervently. This time, Sally moved with equal force, making Mac's grip on her hips tighter.

His kisses descended on her jaw and went lower until Mac found a sweet spot in the part between her neck and shoulder. Sally let out a gasp.

"I've been wanting to do this since we met again," he said as he continued to pleasure her. "Now I want us to do this like everyday.."

"But we can't.. we have..ah!" Sally closed her eyes, feeling his teeth participating. "I have to..uh...work..."

"You don't have to.." Mac's hand went under her shirt, fingers tracing the lock of her bra. "I only wanted you to work at the shop so you could be near me."

Sally smiled upon hearing his words.

"Same time tomorrow?" Mac asked once he stopped to Sally's house. After their heated moment that felt forever, and as much as he wanted, he knew he couldn't make her stay.

Sally was about get out but gave Mac a quick kiss. "See you tomorrow..." then she got out and closed the truck door.

"Tease!" she heard Mac shout before driving away.

Her hair was not in the usual bun. Sally had to let her hair down to cover the hickeys on her neck. She had to refrain herself from smiling though. Her father would surely bombard her with questions once she got inside.

When she reached the door, she could hear William's laughter echoing through the walls. She quickly went to her son's room whose door was opened wide. William was on the floor, laughing and clapping his hands as if he was playing with someone.

"Come here baby," Sally picked William up. The boy continued to laugh. "You got yourself a playmate?"

Charlie came in with William's formula. "You're home early," she said to his daughter.

"Everything alright while I'm gone?"

"Yes, everything's fine. William's enjoying the company of his new friend though."

"Friend?"

"Your boy's got an imaginary friend. Been laughing and playing all by himself all day. It's normal for children of his age." Charlie said before leaving the room.

Sally put William in the bed. She knew it's normal but why did she have the chilly feeling that somebody was with them?