Previous Pages

The Jones Family lived in the small town for decades. The young Charlie Jones then worked in a small mining company owned by a foreign businessman and along with the fellow Cainville men, they searched and dug for minerals hidden in the caves and canyons, that was until the local government decided to close the business in the early 2000's.

By then Charlie Jones was married, sadly his wife died after giving birth. He was left with a pair of beautiful fraternal twins named Samuel and Sally, whom Charlie loved and raised all by himself. He made things work by co-owning a bar with his close friend, Walter Sanchez. Luna Mesa brought bread and butter to their table and sent the twins to school.

Samuel was a young, strapping boy but had the thick dark locks and angelic face of his mother. Sally on the other hand, though she got their mother's bright brown eyes, she looked like more of her father, having the same sandy-blonde hair and freckled skin. The twins were taught to be God-fearing, obedient and diligent. Charlie was determined to do whatever he could to make money, only to make sure that his twins would eventually go to college. Business in the bar was good but it was hardly enough to send the children to the universities they wished to go to.

The college plans never happened as a storm came and turned everything upside down, making it impossible for anyone to pick up where they left off. Well in this particular family, it was. It was nearly the end of their junior high and Sally had just got home from doing a school project at a friend's house when she and her father heard the horrible news: her brother was found dead in the desert. According to the police, Samuel was beaten and stabbed to death and was thrown in the desert for the wild animals. Nobody had a clue, not even the authorities on who the suspects might be. The only angle they could find was robbery and murder; nothing more, nothing less. Charlie Jones was more than devastated, ruined. What kind of worst scum on earth would do rob and kill his son when everyone in town knew they weren't even well off?

"It's not the wild animals you should watch out for. It's the people." Charlie told his weeping daughter. "Whoever did this to your brother, they are worse than any beast."

With the case left unsolved, and the possibility of Samuel's murderer still being at large, 15-year-old Sally was sent to live in California with their Aunt Ruthie. Charlie thought it was for the best, he wouldn't forgive himself if something happened to his only remaining child.

"Daddy, why can't you go with us?" was Sally's last words before she left.

Charlie gave up his daughter and half of his life, choosing to live a life of lonesomeness instead.

Although she was treated as one of the family, Sally felt alone and empty while living in her aunt's cozy house in in Santa Monica. Sally finished senior high school but didn't continue to college. She had numerous jobs from being a babysitter to being a sales representative. In her mid-twenties, she had passed a civil service exam and started working as a secretary in the town hall where she met her husband, David Philipps. When she got married and had their their first child, Sally thought her life had changed for the best; that her father made a good choice sending her away and she was free to forget her past.

But it seemed like fate has decided that she would go back. After two years of marriage, Sally found herself signing divorce papers and leaving California with almost nothing but the two-year-old William who was oblivious of what was happening. Sally could care less of the support coming from her former-husband. She was happy to leave with her priceless jewel, her son.