Chapter 78: Kimberly

When you wake up you were on the couch curled up on Dan. His knees were over the arm of the couch and he was leaning against the back of it. Such an odd position. Phil was asleep on a pillow and Zoe was leaning on his shoulder. You skilfully get off Dan and start making food. Food sounds real good right now.

You gather up the materials to make pancakes. As you rummage around for a whisk you have to hold back laughter. They have like 10 and Dan refuses to touch them. You grab two and leave one in Dan's lap. As you make the pancakes the others start waking up when they smell them. You all gather at the table and eat. Today was the day to get Kimberly. The snow had stopped and Dan got a car rented. The three of you were scared to get in the car. especially Dan who's driving.

Breakfast was eaten in silence. Phil went back to bed and the rest of you headed for the car. It was a nice Cadillac. That didn't stop you from being terrified. everyone got in and buckled up. It took Dan a bit of time to start it up. You could see his hands shaking. He was only doing this for Kimberly. He manages to start it and start driving. He kept the speed slow. Never over 70mph and always was looking at the road. Half an hour passes and you arrive at the orphanage. Your hear was racing.

Everyone gets out of the car and walks side by side. You felt the happiness radiating off of you.

Will she remember you?

What if something is wrong and you can't get her?

What if you can't even adopt?

What if someone adopted her?

Stop. That's just fear talking. You're getting your first child today. Calm the fuck down.

Dan holds open the door for you and Zoe. You step into the orphanage. It was very old fashioned but kept well. You were thinking of something out of Annie but it was nice.

"Hello how may I help you?" A lady says, coming around the corner.

"Hi we we were looking to adopt a little girl." You reply. The words felt Crazy coming off your lips.

"We have plenty. Is there one your liking for in particular?"

"Well girls were at Starbucks a few weeks ago and we met one."

"What was her name?"

"Kimberly."

The lady smiles and heads into the other room gesturing for you to follow. You followed into a room. There were little girls playing with dolls and stuffed animals. They were all dressed well. It seemed like such a nice place. Then you see her. She was sitting alone not eh corner braiding a dolls hair.

"Hi Miss Tiffany." She says looking up from her doll.

Then she looked further and sees you. Her eyes widened when she saw you, Dan and, Zoe.

"Oh my gosh!" She says jumping up and tossing her doll aside.

She runs up to you and hugs you. She only makes up to your waist so you pick her up. You hug her tight. Dan stands next to you and Kimberly sees him.

"This can't be happening." She says.

Zoe leaves and goes to the other kids and talks with them. A lot recognised you. Dan takes Kimberly and Miss. Tiffany looks very happy.

"This is the one isn't it?"

"Yes yes very much yes." You say.