•35 Years Old•

When Jenny was thirty-five, she was due to give birth to two healthy, beautiful baby boys.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried for her. Truth be told, I stayed awake most nights during her pregnancy, praying to God and asking him for the one favor that she'd be alright.

She had a career by then. She was working at a law firm and was one of the most successful, her husband alongside her to give her both his love and his advice, for he knew how things worked.

I was just clueless. My life consisted of waiting for her to get home and fighting for her attention every single night, without ever really getting it at all.

My days were mostly routine, and they always revolved specifically around her. I just never expected them to be put at an abrupt stop.

For on the 17th of January, at exactly 05:22am, Jenny's eyes fluttered shut as the beeping, metal heart monitor read a flat line.

Two heartbeats were welcomed into the world that day. But I lost the only one that ever mattered to me.

I stayed by her side the whole week after that. Even as they pronounced her dead and delivered the news to everyone she knew, I stayed with her.

And that's when I found myself lost. Lost in an ocean of vast emptyness, as the girl I'd grown to love in so many more ways than one ceased to live any longer than she had to.