chess - arthur pendragon

"Knight to H3," I said, moving a chess piece with nimble fingers

"Knight to H3," I said, moving a chess piece with nimble fingers. Quirking a brow proudly, I sent a challenging gaze to Arthur, who was biting his lip and frowning in concentration.

I had known Arthur for merely a few months. My kingdom was at war, and my father had moved my mother and me to Camelot. At first, Arthur had always been sort of stiff and formal around me, always excusing himself from my presence with a simple, "Princess Lydia," and a quick bow. After an unbearable time of formalities, I interrupted a banquet and challenged him to a duel, and much to the guests' and his own surprise, Arthur accepted. I was fairly good with a blade, and unnaturally quick, and we never actually finished the duel. It was concluded to a tie after we fought for at least five hours. After the fight, his attitude toward me became almost agitated, but somehow I managed to get on his good side. We created an unlikely friendship; I was the sort of lively girl with boundless energy and sweet smiles, while he was a sort of valiant soul who was both very strong and very brave. Though, one thing was for certain.

He was really bad at chess.

"Pawn to H3," he finally said, triumphantly taking my knight. I faked horror as he flicked the piece off the board. He smirked at me, saying, "You have to say I'm fairly good for my third game against you, princess."

I sarcastically beamed at him, taking his pawn. "Well, when you're trapped in a castle for three years with only a sword, a chessboard, and a maidservant, you learn a few things," I said smartly, casually resting my chin in my hand.

"Fair enough," he muttered, making his move. I took another one of his pieces in the process, and it wasn't long before I had won the game.

It was amusing to think a princess like me could beat the famed Prince Arthur Pendragon at a petty game of chess.

I swept the ivory pieces back into their carved wooden box as Arthur sat in his chair with a brooding look. Sighing, I stepped behind his chair and leaned my slim frame over him, letting my dark hair fall on his shoulders. "Come on, you're not going to pout over one small loss?" I teased, brown eyes gleaming.

He heaved a sigh, crossing his arms. "Only because you flounce around with your little victories like a schoolgirl," he replied.

"At least I'm not a prat," I said in a sing-song tone, twirling around his chair to fetch my chessboard.

"Only because you're a royal one," he muttered in a mock sing-song voice, rolling his eyes. I patted his arm in false sympathy, still smiling, as I weaved around his chair to the door.

"Oh, by the way Arthur," I said behind me once I reached the door. His blonde head craned to look at me sideways with piercing blue eyes. He almost appeared annoyed, but I knew that wasn't the case. I paused.

"Practice your chess, will you? You're the only person I can tolerate playing with, so you might as well be a challenging mate." With that, I pranced out of the room, leaving Arthur somewhat dumbfounded.