Chapter 1

September 1st

"So are you excited Maddy?" My father asked as we sat around the dinner table.

"Yes, but I'm also nervous." I said feeling a bit queasy just thinking about the job I had received at Rush Medical Hospital, considered among the best in the state of Washington.

"Why is that? You're smart, talented, and the best part of all you have passion." My mother said rubbing my shoulder lightly. I smiled at the gesture and poured myself another drink as I thanked her.

"I really need to prove myself. It's a highly competitive surgical nursing program and they only want the best." I said still finding it hard to believe that out of everyone, I was lucky enough to be chosen.

"Baby sister I'm sure you're going to do great." My sister said with a warm smile spread over her lips.

"Thanks." I said knowing she truly meant it.

After dinner I went up to my old bedroom and began unpacking the few things I brought. I was staying at my parents for a while until I could finish remodeling my apartment. I threw myself on the bed and closed my eyes trying to relax as I took deep breathes. I really needed to give this one-hundred percent of my effort. Opening my eyes I released a small sigh thinking about everything that has happened in the past few months. I graduated in the spring with my nursing degree, passed the NCLEX-RN exam and was now going to start the next phase of my career to become a perioperative nurse.

My life was finally starting to get pieced together, slowly, but surely together.

*

The annoying sound of my alarm went off loudly in the room. Why the hell was it this loud? I groaned as I threw the covers off my body and turned the alarm off. Without wasting anymore time, I gathered my clothes and went to take a shower. The cool water running down my skin and soaking my hair helped ease the stress I was beginning to feel this morning. After my shower, I dressed up and packed everything I needed. Heading out the door towards my car, I turned the ignition and drove off in silence.

Arriving at the hospital half and hour later, I smiled looking at the massive building that I was now apart of. This would be my new home and where I thrive. I had already gone through the trouble of filling our paperwork for the Human Resources department and taking my photo ID so I made my way through the elegant lobby. The hospital was definitely intimidating, resembling more of an expensive mansion rather than a place where people come to get cured. I walked over to the front desk.

"Good morning how can I help you?" A young woman asked in a bubbly tone.

"It's my first day working here. I'm a nurse and lo-" The woman cut me off.

"Are you Madeline Pross?" She asked. I nodded. "Welcome, I was told to escort you to the Northern wing where the surgical unit is and where you'll be spending most of your time." The woman stood from her seat, motioned for me to follow her and I did. As I did a little more marveling,  I almost ran into her when she stopped in front of the elevator doors. Thankfully I didn't and he doors opened and we both stepped in.

"Are you nervous?" The woman asked.

"A bit." I responded.

"You look like you'll do an amazing job." She said in what sounded like a flirty tone. Before I could say anything the doors opened and my jaw dropped at the scenery before me.

It's like we were in an entirely different world. The floors were white tile that sparkle with silver spots. The desks were made of marble, the walls a beautiful wooden oak color, and the windows were massive proving plenty of natural lighting. Everything looked so clean and breakable that I was afraid to step further.