Chapter 8

Merlin and Morgana spent the next few days cooped up in one of the large libraries in Ealdor's castle. Morgana poured over all the ancient books about magic, trying to learn as much as she could, while Merlin sat with her trying to find out information on Seers for her, occasionally answering any questions she had.

Merlin cast a side glance at her as she read and he smiled. She seemed so at home here, curled up in a small ball on the cushions on the floor and smiling as she read the book. She pulled her sleeves down, practically making her hands disappear. She clutched the fabric in her hands and rested her chin on her hands. She seemed happy, Merlin thought. She wasn't as sad and angry as he thought she would be. He assumed she'd cry over missing her home and be angry with them all for forcing her into a marriage that she didn't even want in the first place.

He wouldn't have blamed her if she did. He was very against the idea in the beginning as well. He, understandably, didn't want to be forced to spend his life with someone he didn't even know. Over time, though, the two had become very close, Morgana enjoying someone to finally talk to about her magic.

Once Merlin saw that she had fallen asleep over the book, he shook his head and laughed. He slid the book out from under her head and placed the cloth bookmark inside of it to keep her page. He then reached under her and picked her up, bridal style, so he could carry her back to her room. Her eyes fluttered open and she shot a questioning glance at him.

He smiled, "I think we've been staying up too late."

She gave a small smile and hummed in agreement. Her eyes fluttered closed again and she rested her head against his chest as he carried her towards her chambers. He nudged the wooden door open with his foot and carried her towards her bed. He pulled back the covers and gently placed her on the mattress, setting her head on the soft pillows and pulling the blankets up to her chin.

If you asked Morgana what had happened that night, she wouldn't exactly be able to remember, seeing as how she was half asleep for most of it, but she was almost positive that she felt him give her a soft kiss on the forehead before leaving her.

(She fell asleep with a grin on her face that night.)

___________________________

"Good morning everyone," Morgana said as she waltzed down to the Great Hall were the royal family was gathered for breakfast. Hunith and Balinor smiled at her and Merlin grinned as she sat beside him.

"Good morning, Morgana," Hunith smiled, "did you sleep well?"

Morgana thought for a moment before answering, "well, I slept wonderfully for the first three or four hours, but then I had a nightmare. I did get some sleep though, so there's a plus."

Hunith smiled sympathetically at the young girl, "anything we should be worried about, dear?"

Morgana thought, "I can't exactly remember the dream very well, something about a dragon, I think."

Balinor chuckled, "we should be alright, then. Kilgarrah is the last dragon and he is a friend."

Morgana shrugged her shoulders, "alright, then I guess it's nothing more than a dream."

Balinor and Hunith seemed pleased and dug into their breakfast.

After breakfast, Morgana returned to her room to finish getting ready. She took off her simple gown and exchanged it for a much more elegant black one, with a golden belt hanging down the middle. She turned around when she heard a knock on the door, "who is it, Jade?"

Jade answered the door and then turned to Morgana, "Prince Merlin, ma'am."

Morgana nodded and smiled, "alright, that'll be all. Thank you, Jade."

Jade curtsied and quickly exited the room, leaving the pair alone. Merlin stepped through the doorway and smiled, "you look lovely."

Morgana set her hairbrush down and smiled, "thank you very much. What can I help you with?"

Merlin cleared his throat and began to explain, "while we were reading last night, I was doing some research on Seers. I found something to help you with your nightmares. I asked a friend to help me with it."

Morgana smiled, "what is it?"

Merlin uncurled his hand and showed her the dazzling necklace. It was a simple silver chain with a diamond in the center. There were a few wires curling around it, making it look as if it were a star. Morgana gasped as she walked closer. The center of the diamond seemed to be glowing. She looked up at Merlin, amazed.

He explained, "magic."

She smiled, "can you help me with it?"

He nodded and she turned around, lifting her hair. He reached around her, leaning in close. Morgana felt goosebumps on her arms as he did so. He pulled the necklace around her neck and fastened it behind her, breath hot on her neck. Morgana closed her eyes, reveling in the closeness. He stepped back finally, "there you go."

She turned around and gazed at the necklace, fingering the gem. She smiled radiantly at Merlin and she leaned in close, giving him a lingering kiss on the cheek.

She pulled back, "it's the most wonderful thing anyone's ever given me, thank you."

He gave her a small smile, "you're welcome."

She wasn't exactly sure why she did it, but on an impulse, she leaned in and she hugged him tightly, wrapping her arms around his torso. It took him a second, but soon enough he gently wrapped his arms around her, returning the hug. When she finally pulled back, she found herself immediately missing his warmth, though she couldn't explain why. She smiled at him, "thank you, Merlin."

He bowed his head and smirked, "of course, my lady."

Their sweet moment was cut short when a large shadow cast itself through Morgana's window. Both turned towards the window in surprise and watched as a large, leathery black wing passed the small hole. Morgana and Merlin ran to the window and peered outside. Merlin looked back at Morgana's door and quickly started to walk towards it, followed by Morgana.

"I need to warn my father, we're under attack."

"What are they?" Morgana asked frantically as they ran through the corridors, her long dress flowing behind her.

"Wyverns," he answered gravely.

Morgana's dress: