Chapter Five

George, being the perfect gentleman he was, called me in the morning the next day. We talked on the phone for two hours, twenty-six minutes, and thirty-three seconds. I was on cloud nine.

As soon as we hung up, my door burst open to reveal Jane and Lydia, utterly goofy smiles plastered on both of their faces. When I asked them how long they had been standing outside my door, they exchanged sly looks and their goofy smiles got even goofier. If that was possible.

"Okay! I need to know everything!" Jane exclaimed. "How cute is he? What's he like? You know I LIVE for the romantic rants!" She shook my shoulders fiercely, and didn't let go until I told her how much I liked him.

"The only thing is he's traveling a lot because of his soccer league." I sulked. "He's on his way to San Francisco now for a game." Both Jane and Lydia gave me sad looks, as if that would make me feel any better. "But he did promise me that we would see each other when he got back."

"And do you know when that would be?" Jane asked me.

"In two weeks or so." I told them. Lydia groaned. "But we're keeping in contact. That's something, right?"

"Yeah, it means he's making you his secured booty-call for when he gets back while he bangs multiple chicks in San Francisco!" Lydia exclaimed. "Lizzie, you have much to learn."

"Okay, I really don't think that's what he's doing, Lydia." Jane added in George's defense. As much as I appreciated it, Jane thought the best in everyone. Lydia wouldn't take her seriously on this.

"Please, Jane. You're the most naive sister of all." Lydia told her. Jane gasped and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"She may have a point, Jane." I told her. "You think the best out of everyone - which I love about you - but it can ultimately hurt you if you're not careful."

"I don't think everyone is nice." Jane told us.

"What about Darcy?" I raised both eyebrows at her, and a look of a hard thinker came to her face.

"What he said about you at the wedding wasn't nice," Jane started, and I nodded my head in agreement. "But Charlie seems to like him for some reason."

"And that reason would be..." Lydia condescended.

"Charlie says he's as loyal as they come. That he always looks out for his friends."

"Can you tell us something nice about him that Charlie hasn't told you?" I asked her.

"Um..." Jane stammered, thinking really hard. "Well in his defense, I really don't know him that well."

"Exactly! No one but his friends knows anything about him." I told Jane. "He's been here for a week and hasn't made any new friends. I bet he thinks he's better than us."

"He comes from a snooty rich family," Lydia cried. "Of course he thinks he's better than us!"

"No, no," Jane started, coming to the defense of Darcy. Knowing Jane, she would come to the defense of a rapist-slash-murderer. "I'm sure he's just shy. First impressions aren't always correct."

"And a wedding and a bar are really bad places to meet people." I sassed.

"Well, bars are." Jane said. "You can't trust everyone you meet at a bar." Jane told Lydia pointedly, who rolled her eyes.