Chapter Thirty-Four

As April faded into May, Jane and Charlie's relationship flourished and bloomed into something I imagined to be better than even The Jane Face's expectations. During this time, Charlotte's visits were much more frequent, and she even brought along Richard most times, albeit reluctantly. He didn't like being away from Oakland for too long, lest Miss De Bourgh reprimand him for putting his own indulgences before his work. Seeing them together, however made me believe that Charlotte was truly happy.

            "We all have to go out tonight." Charlie proclaimed one afternoon in the living room of his Netherfield mansion. By "we", Charlie meant himself and Jane, Charlotte and Richard, and me. I was not so keen on this idea.

            "I think I'll pass." I told him after the rest of them mumbled agreements. This was met by arguments all around. "What do you want me to be fifth wheel for!? I have a lot of catching up to do for my last final exam tomorrow anyway."

            "Lizzie, we know you'll pass either way." Charlotte told me, though her concern was more in that I go out with them than in my final grade in college algebra. 

            "Yeah Lizzie, give yourself a break." Charlie told me. "We've still got plenty of catching up to do."

            "I believe that you shouldn't go out if your first priority is studying." Richard instructed. "There will be plenty of time for pleasure once your work is done." That was so easy for him to say, seeing as he was here instead of in Oakland. I decided against bringing this up, however. 

            "I think I'll take Richard's advice." I said, six words I never thought that I would say in the entire time I've known him. I got up from the couch and bid them all adieu.

            I walked back to my house, since I had much preferred walking these days. It gave me time to think, appreciate nature, and gave me my own time outside of everyone else. It wasn't like escaping inside a book; it allowed me to place myself in the world rather than leave it.

            Thinking about my place in the world led me to think about Darcy's. I hadn't seen or heard from him since the last time he was over for dinner with Charlie. I wanted so much to contact him or for him to contact me. Every time Charlie was over, I found myself waiting for him to bring up Darcy. When I finally asked about him a few days back, the conversation headed in an awkward direction.

            "So how's Darcy? I haven't seen him since you and Jane finally got together." I brought up to Charlie. We were out for frozen yogurt, chatting aimlessly as the summer sun was blocked by the colorful umbrella of our outdoor table.

            "He's still in Oakland." Charlie sighed. "The poor guy got in a huge fight with his aunt. You know, the scary one." I nodded, eager for information on this fight. I thought I knew what it might be about.

            "That's too bad." Jane commented. "What was the fight about?" By that time, Jane had known all the details about Miss De Bourgh's talk with me and the email Richard had sent our dad. I gave her an approving nod and she smirked slyly.

            "He wouldn't tell me the details, but apparently she dropped the deal they had been working on for months. I told Darcy that he was insane, and to just apologize, but he's not backing down. His company can be in major trouble after this." Charlie looked genuinely concerned, and I tried to hide the guilty expression I was surely giving away.

            "But he must have a reason for whatever he did to make Miss De Bourgh back out of the deal." I offered.

            "Maybe. But millions of dollars were going into his company. He had to put the production of two restaurants in San Francisco on hold." The silence that followed left me feeling dreadful.