Summary Part 1

"Am I crazy? I don't know are you? I feel sick. You're not sick. But Ifeel sick. Don't be childish. I'm not being childish. Well I guess your versionof childish isn't exactly the same as others is it. Silence. Do you rememberwhen we first met?" Clock ticks in the background. It starts with flashback toChristopher's past. He is teased and bullied, told that he's weird and that heshouldn't act the way he does. This pushes him to the edge and while he's inthe fetal position on the ground crying he hears a voice tell him to get up andstop being such a cry baby. Christopher asks "who are you?" in response thevoice says "I am you and you are me, now get up and stop crying." Flash forwardmany years, Christopher is now in high school and refers to the fictionalperson attached to the voice as Jack. The name Jack originating from the factthat in Christopher's eyes he can do anything, and therefore is a Jack of alltrades. It is implied that Jack has helped Christopher for the past couple ofyears, helping him fit in and get on everyone's good side. At the same timeJack also explains that to be on good terms with everyone Christopher cannot beclose with anyone. Christopher likes to say that he has a thousandacquaintances and no real friends. At lunch he talks to his classmate and jokeswith them, but in the background they make plans in which they do not invitehim. They talk parties and events that Christopher never even went to. A littlebit defeated Christopher goes to his next class. In the hallway he bumps intohis classmate Nick, who then drops a watch out of his bag. Nick doesn't seem tonotice this occurrence and keeps walking. Jack picks up the watch and bothChristopher and Jack agree that they need to return the watch. They find Nickand return the watch. Nick, however, becomes furious at Christopher due to acrack in the watch, which he explains his sister gave him. He forcesChristopher to go to the hospital with him and apologize in person to hissister. After discussing it with Jack he agrees to apologize, believing itwould be the quickest way to settle things. They then go after school. Arrivingat the hospital Christopher meets Nick's sister Rose who has a chronic illness,and does not have much longer to live without having an expensive surgery.Arriving at the hospital, Nick bursts into his sister's room and hands her thenow broken watch. Nick points at Christopher and blames him for the damages.Holding the watch she looks at it, noticing that the hands on the watch stoppedmoving and now just seem to twitch back and forth. She asks how exactlyChristopher broke it. Nick exclaims that Christopher had bumped into him makinghim drop the watch. Rose then replies to Nick saying "That sounds more like youwere just being clumsy." Nick then freezes, turns bright red, and proceeds tonot say another word for the rest of the conversation. Rose is very kind, andforgives Christopher. She even apologizes for her brother causing him so muchtrouble. After leaving the hospital Nick thanks Christopher for coming with him.After this Christopher begins to feel that he should help Nick and Rose toraise money for the surgery. Jack argues with Christopher saying that it's nolonger his problem and should let it go. Christopher refuses and after someback and forth ends up going and helping anyway. Christopher meets up with Nickand suggests this idea for fund raising, saying that it's better than doingnothing. With that they begin standing on the street every day begging formoney. After a few days of this Christopher starts going more and more often.He begins missing classes at school and stops studying all together. Jackstarts getting mad at him saying that he's ruining his life and wasting histime. Christopher doesn't listen until he gets his report card and sees hisgrades. Thus leading to the first conversation. "Am I crazy? I don't know areyou? I feel sick. You're not sick. But I feel sick. Don't be childish. I'm notbeing childish. Well I guess your version of childish isn't exactly the same asothers is it. Silence. Do you remember when we first met? Clock ticks in thebackground."