Chapter 8

ADRIEN

He wasn't... he wasn't there. I had looked into every corner, but there was nobody there. I pulled out my mobile phone open as quickly as I could, deeply conscious that every second that went by meant a bigger chance that I'd lose Lad- Marinette.

"Please, answer me..." Nino may not have had Ladybug's number, but Adrien Agreste had his. One, two, three... the line went dead before anyone picked it up. I growled. I didn't have time to go into every supermarket or mall to check where Cholé had left him. I tried again, my heart racing with anxiety. One, two, three, four...

"Ehm... hello?"

"Shit, Nino! Where the hell are you?!"

"Dude... what the heck? I'm trying to get some sleep. Where are YOU?"

I fell silent. No way. Impossible.

"Hey? Adrien, dude?"

"Nino. Why didn't you and Alya go straight home after the ball?"

As I spoke, I tried to find my way back outside, slipping constantly and feeling too clumsy.

"We did, bro! We looked everywhere for you and Marinette, but you were nowhere to be seen so, once the prom ended, we went back home. Alya actually left first, since she had been talking about how tired she was and then disappeared, so I assumed..."

All this precious time... I had lost it in vain. Chloé had tricked Alya into believing she had captured Nino too just to separate Ladybug and me... I just hoped it wasn't too late.

"What's the problem, dude?... Did everything go okay with Marinette?"

Wait, what?

"Perfect. Sorry to wake you up. Bye."

I closed my phone and slipped it back in my pocket. I'd try to analyze what had Nino known and for how long later on.

I was now running at full speed on all fours, and jumped through the broken window.

Please, please make it not be too late...

But nobody seemed to hear my prayer.

The streets were empty. I yelled out Marinette and Chloé's names, but I received no answer. I searched everywhere, yet all I could find was Ladybug's ribbon.

"Marinette..."

I wondered what she and Alya could have done to irritate Chloé that much. Just like Ladybug had told me about angels, demons weren't supposed to directly inflict pain on humans, yet she had previously pretended to be akumatized in an attempt to get rid of Ladybug and I, considering us too powerful. However, something must have happened for her to chase after those girls. Did she know ...?

I stared once again at the ribbon I was holding in my hands.

If Chloé hadn't known about Marinette's secret identity, she did now. And soon would the rest of the world.

----

MARINETTE

I had tried my best not to transform. Even though I couldn't understand why Chat believed Chloé would remember any of this, I decided to trust him, as always. But he took too long... I wasn't able to resist any longer.

Chloé had soon caught me and taken me to one of the rooftops, from where I swung from side to side, waiting for her to release her yoyo and myself with it.

"Why, Chloé? Why... How can you hate me this much, after all these years...?"

As much as she bothered me, I had never hated her to the extent of wanting to throw her over a building... well, to the extent of actually doing so.