Chapter 12

MARINETTE

"Has he woken up yet?"

I still hadn't had a chance of visiting Adrien at the hospital since, once Tikki had gotten enough rest, I'd had to answer all the police's questions and make sure that nobody knew more than they should. As far as I had discovered, Chat and I would still be able to maintain our secret identities, as Lucy hadn't had time, or simply hadn't been interested in telling the rest of the world. At least for now. And in Chloé's case...

"No, he hasn't." she answered.

She'd been there the whole time, accompanying Gabriel to the hospital... and remaining by his side for the last 20 hours. At first I'd thought she'd done so because of the bond they may have shared in the underworld, but the anxiousness in Chloé's face when she informed me said otherwise.

"Oh..."

I made an attempt to open the door to Adrien's room, but Chloé's hand held my wrist firmly.

"Don't." Our looks crossed, each one more threatening than the other. Would I have to fight her there and then? I certainly didn't need my powers. "...he needs rest. The nurses have told us so." She quickly added.

I looked over towards Gabriel, who sat on one of the chairs available in the corridor. His crouched position and the eye bags beneath his eyes would have stopped many from recognizing him as the powerful and famous Mr. Agreste... let alone the Archangel Gabriel I had once known.

"She's telling the truth." He assured with a tired voice.

I got rid of Chloé's grip and only then noticed that she had a small bandage on her arm.

"Did you get hurt, too? I hadn't noticed."

"No, uhm... there wasn't enough blood of Adrien's type, so I had to donate." Chloé avoided my look and instinctively covered up the bandage with her empty hand, as if that would erase her latter words. A heat wave ran through my body, and it carried mixed feelings, both of gratitude and of jealousy... so she did actually love Adrien more than she showed. I wondered whether she had ever had the same internal debates as Chat had always had for being a demon, and the consequences that that implied...

Whatever the answer was, I knew she wouldn't be telling me. In fact, it was not long before she announced that she'd be going out for some fresh air, leaving Gabriel and I alone. I sat beside him.

The air between us was dense, as all that could be breathed was anxiety and despair... and, in Gabriel's case, regret, shame.

"Gabriel..."

"Marinette"

We both spoke at the same time, and that silly thing broke part of the tension between us.

"Me first, please." I knew he needed it, so I simply nodded. "I – I'm..." he paused, searching for the right words as he stared at the floor, still holding his head with one of his hands. "I'll never be able to make up to you... or Adrien." He gulped in pronouncing his son's name. "You saved both our lives back there, and not only that, but you've maintained my son's soul safe all these years."

He finally looked up at me in saying those words. I blushed.

"Me? What exactly could I have saved him from?"

He drew a sad smile, and answered "From me. From becoming someone like me." I froze. What could I tell him? "Thank you."

We both looked away and remained silent for a few minutes.

"Your soul has been saved too, you know." I finally mentioned.

I heard his breath stop. After a few seconds, he turned his head towards me.