1

Careful, the heathen wants to play...
Do you wanna be saved?
Someone doesn't feel himself today...
What a way to behave
When does your karma start to disarm your explosive demeanor?
It's not a reason to seethe
I see you showing your teeth
These are the valleys of greed
I can't believe my eyes
There's a fire across my skies
There's only so much left
But what does it matter?
Everything is shattered
______________________________
The Uncanny Valley - Stone Sour

"So, that's it. This was the last box." I said and felt how a big smile crept across my face. It was finally done, hours of carrying and unpacking heavy boxes up the small stairway and into the house, through the glass front door and into several small but welcoming rooms. Our own home. Finally. A panting Lia appeared at my side, a grin across her face matching mine.
"Damn, girl. We made it," she laughed and jumped at me, embracing me in a tight hug. Her laugh was infectious and soon I joined in while hugging her back. One month ago this whole endeavor seemed impossible and I did not believe it could happen. But here we stood owning our own house, having our lives back and just about to restart everything. Everything good, though.
"What's next?" Lia addressed me after she calmed down and I was about to shrug but was stopped by my grumbling stomach. It seemed to be loud enough to be heard by her as well because she laughed again and nodded.
"Someone is screaming for pizza," she said and turned around from the doorway, signaling me to follow her into our living room and into the kitchen. Even in my head, this term sounded weird. All I have done until now was renting a small room in an apartment, allowed to use the bathroom and the balcony but never feeling as if it would be my home. I had lived in a few apartments over the past five years, some flatmates worse than others but all in all I was able to handle my life. After I got back in town I quit my job at the diner - it reminded me too much of what had been before. My drug addicted and abusive brother, my own addiction, my constant failures on becoming clean or gaining a better life. Because every day I woke up and ended up going to that small, dirty diner in a small, dirty town in the middle of nowhere. I wanted a change, and after I have had so much of it I needed to change some more things to get back on track. So I found a new job as a librarian in town, which was good. No drunk people fighting over nonsense caught up in their dull world of liquor. No strangers pestering me during or after work, no unhealthy burden of working too much, doing too many overtime hours and not eating enough, failing in getting a balance for this. Instead, I delectated myself with standing behind the reception desk half of the day, sorting out books the other half. But it was good. I always loved books, and even as a kid with no money I wanted to go into bookstores just because of the smell. Fresh ink on paper, every page filled with fantasies. That was my world, even though I haven't had much of it before. There simply was no time to read and no money to buy any books. But now that changed and these books filled half of my bedroom, stacked on shelves all over my walls.
"FOUND IT!" Lia announced, holding a folded paper in her hand and pulling me out of my thoughts. After one second I recognized that she was holding the menu of one of the countless delivery services around. She was still smiling winningly when she stalked over to me and smacked the menu on the stone kitchen counter, lifting her ass onto it right after.
"You know I still want to prepare food on this counter and now you're polluting it with your bum," I stated and she smacked me on my shoulder.
"Shut up. Which pizza do you want? I'll take the Brazilian, I guess," she said, already grabbing her phone and dialing the restaurant's number.
"Makes two," I shrugged and went to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water and downing it in the next seconds, throwing the now empty bottle into the bin. I turned around when I heard Lia finishing the order, giving our address to the guy on the telephone and the moment our eyes met, we both started to grin again. She ended the call and stared at me.
"I just gave him our address. Our new address. Our FUCKING ADDRESS IN L.A.!!!" she started to shout and jumped from the counter, leaving me laughing at her euphory.
"Kaelyn, we made it!"
"Yeah... we did," I grinned as well and hugged her. This was the beginning of something big. I could feel it.

"So, have you heard anything from Mason?" Lia asked me and glanced at me over her slice of pizza. We've got our delivery some minutes ago and now sat on our still freshly packed, new couch in the living room, each of us claiming one side of it, the pizza boxes on our laps. A delicious smell filled the room and I took a big bite before I answered my best friend.
"Not yet, he just said that he wants us to come to his office tomorrow. He said that since we paid the price it's just about doing the formalities like signing the contract, getting the keys and so on. He also said we could probably start painting and decorating next week, the old owner just has to get out his stuff," I gave her all of the information I had from the small text Mason had sent me earlier. It wasn't much, but that was okay. We had been occupied decorating our home for the past week and today we just tried to find a place for all our stuff. Or we tried to fill some of the cupboards that seemed so empty since we both just had really small rooms before, not a two story house with loads of space and everything. But well, we would probably collect more stuff over time. Soon it would look like a real home, but the most important thing was that it already felt like it.
"Okay cool, do you know which time? I'll probably have aching muscles from all the stuff we did today and I really feel like sleeping in," my best friend stated and I laughed at her seriousness about this. Especially since "sleeping in" for her meant sleeping until ten or so.
"Nah, I think it's cool if we just pop in around noon... or shortly after," I suggested, taking another bite of my pizza and enjoying how the flavor filled my mouth.
"You know he has the hots for you, don't you?" she suddenly asked and I nearly choked on my pizza.
"What?"
"Oh, c'mon Kae. He tried everything to get you to L.A., even gave you this house for like, nothing. You should really open your eyes and accept the fact that you guys are going to marry and get loads of kids and buy a dog and name him Alexander and..." she rambled and I threw an olive after her.
"Shut up, you're talking nonsense. Again."
That made her laugh and roll her eyes, but at least she shut up about Mason.
"Alright, Alright... good job today by the way. I really didn't think we would be able to unpack all of our stuff today," Lia grinned and held her greasy hand towards me, pizza oil running down her arm. I grinned again, giving her a high five that made the oil splash around and she laughed.
"Luckily, we forgot the couch."
"Indeed. Though I don't think we forgot it, we were just too lazy to get rid of this plastic cover today."
She shrugged and we both continued eating our pizza, then threw away the boxes after we finished. We were about to go to bed, but Lia stopped me on the way to my bedroom.
"Do you think we are able to handle this?" she asked and crossed her arm's over her chest, biting the inside of her cheek. She always did that when she waited for an answer.
"Do you really ask that now? After we already moved to freaking Los Angeles, buying a house, paying for the café... you can't back down now. Besides, we managed to get here. So why wouldn't we be able to handle it, huh?" I asked and shook my head. She slowly nodded and the smile from before crept over her face again.
"Yeah. True. Sorry, I know, I was just having a moment."
"I know. Shush, bedtime now," I smiled back and she nodded, a yawn escaping her mouth.
We said goodnight and went to our bedrooms. Her's at one end of the corridor, mine on the other end. I changed into my most comfy PJ's and let myself fall into my bed. Tomorrow was going to be a big day, probably the biggest day in my life. I was a bit excited, but moreover, I was grateful because I was finally able to self-employ and my best friend was right at my side. We knew it might be complicated to establish the small and sweet café we were about to open in a two or three weeks, but we have had some friends here who would help us. Besides, Mason, the realtor who helped us as well, was a friend of mine and got us a good place for the Café. It was a busy part of the town, near the ocean with a nice view so it should attract people. But well, first of all, we would have to decorate everything. After that, we would have time to see how things are going.

_______________
And I am back with the Sequel of "Remember what you're staring at is me".
I know, I know, the first chapter is boring but well, that's how it goes, sorry. :D
Don't forget to vote and comment