Winter Wonderland || Chapter 2

The next morning I was awakened by a jumping Ethan.

"Noel!" He shouted, excited. "It's almost Christmas!" He was jumping up and down while clapping his hands.

"Yeah, Ethan, it is." I smiled and thought about Christmas' before this year. The Christmas' before I turned 14 were the best. You would wake up on Christmas day, right as the sun rose. I would laugh as I tried to get my parents out of bed. The smile that I had on my face faded. There hadn't been the kind of Christmas in three years. Ever since I turned 15, I had been in charge of taking care of Ethan, buying him presents, making Stanta's cookies and cooking food. I had been in charge for a while and I didn't like it. 

"Noel?" Ethan asked. I shook my thoughts away and turned to him. 

"Yea, Ethan?" I asked him and he smiled.

"Someone's at the door." I grimaced. Did I really want to see anyone looking like this? I shrugged, I had a feeling it wasn't Nick, lord knows I didn't need that kind of embarrassment. I opened the door and saw Emily. I sighed heavily, I knew that I was going to be questioned for yesterday. I opened the door and let them in. 

"Hey, Em." I said. She nodded at me.

"Hey, Noel." I smiled and closed the door behind them. 

I sat down on the couch, and smiled  as Ethan and Susy ran upstairs. I didn't even notice Emily was beside me until she cleared her throat. "So." She started and I looked at her, eyebrows raised.

"What's up?" I asked Emily, and she shrugged.

"Oh, nothing. I just want to know what was up with my best friend yesterday." I groaned. I didn't want to talk about this.

"Nothing was up with me." I tried to convince her, but she wasn't having it. I sighed and decided to tell her the truth, "I went out, just to get some fresh air, but I met this guy-well, barely. I know his name at least, Nick." Emily's expression went from questioning to excited.

"Oh! What was he like?" She asked.

"He was sweet, considerate, charming, and good-looking." I told her, laughing. "He was perfect, but mysterious." 

"A little mystery is a good thing though." I nodded, agreeing with her.

"I don't know who he is though." I told her. "I don't understand what's happening." I picked up the letter from the coffee table. "He left this note by the jacket he let me keep." I handed to her, and lied back.

"Dear Noel," She started reading, " I assume you are pretty confused at the moment, and I promise you that I will explain everything in due time.  Let's just say that I have a job that allows me to help you, but your case is a special one indeed. I got a letter from and anonymous person. (I promised them I wouldn't say anything) and they asked me to help you. Before I tell you anything, I need to find out if you ever grow to like me. If you don't, I can't tell you who I am. If you do, I'll know you like me for me, and not for what job I have. I really hope that you forgive me for leaving you in the dark. I know that you do not like being confused, for neither do I. Know that you will know everything in due time. Trust me, you'll be happy that you didn't know. At least for a little while.

 With Winter Cheer and Love, 

 Nick. "  She looked up at me. "Noel, this is kind of sweet!" 

"Did I forget to mention that he was sweet?" I asked, and laughed. Emily looked at me. "What?" I asked her. She opened her mouth to speak, then closed it. Trying to think of what to say, I suppose.