one

C H A P T E R    O N E

W E S T

"Go go go!" My friend Stephanie yelled, looking out our car window. I met Stephanie the last year of high school, and she sort of just stuck with me. "They're catching up!" The loud blaring sirens of the cop car behind us seemed to be getting louder and more intense by the second, but I was determined to get away, like we always did.

I did get caught a couple of times, but since the cops who caught me were always relatively young, they let me go in exchange for a favour. Let's just say for all crimes I've been busted for, I should be in jail for a very long time, instead of where I was today.

And I was very proud of my accomplishments.

"This is your fault!" I exclaimed, gripping the steering wheel tightly and placing my foot harder on the gas pedal to speed up. "I called it from the beginning saying this trade was sketchy and weird, but all you care about is the money!"  I knew by looking in the rear view mirror of of my convertible that they were old men, and you'd think my tricks would work on them much easier. "This plan literally had 'catch me!' In bold writing!" Actually, surprisingly it was harder to sway the law with them.

Since I was fifteen, I began dealing drugs. A little weed here and there, nothing major. I didn't think much of it. I was very picky about who I sold to. People from my high school, my local college, nobody over the age of 25. At first it was just something to get extra money, as well as to get my head off of the situation at home. I used the extra money for a car, and this deal was supposed to help me get my own place, instead of staying at my grandmas. But now, I deal to whoever asked and deal more drugs like ecstasy, tablets, cocaine and weed. My grandmas basement was like a gold mine for druggies; and she hasn't even noticed.

"And you're saying that you don't care about money? Yet you're still here, right? Come on, West! They were offering six figures.  I really needed that money for college!" Steph explained, trying to get me to see her side and agree with her.

"Obviously I care about the fucking money, why do you think I got into this business in the first place? But obviously the second you get involved it blows up in my face!" I yelled, beginning to get angry. "You always do this!". The wind was blowing my dirty blonde hair everywhere; making it harder to see in front of me; the strands finding its way behind my sunglasses.

"Oh please! We both know why the hell you do this." Stephanie scoffed. I nodded my head back and forth and I sarcastically laughed; making it extremely obvious that it was fake.

"Please, do enlighten me, then." My grip on the steering wheel became significantly tighter, my knuckles now white. I wasn't sure who she thought she was, but she needed to step down before I literally run my car into a pole.