four

C H A P T E R    F O U R

C H A P T E R F O U R

W E S T

Once the boy was taken away, the building went back to normal, as if nothing had ever happened. I stood there, confused at what just happened. If that boy couldn't get out, what's to say I was able to? Normally, I'd have plenty of confidence in getting out, but something here was different. This wasn't some little arrest; i was getting busted on multiple counts.

"Let that be the first lesson you learn here, West." The lady scoffed, rocking her head back and forth. "Never disobey us; or you'll end up like him. He won't be aloud to get out of room two; only for meals and his therapy sessions. The other twenty-two Hours of the day, he'll be sitting in a stray jacket; watching the walls."

"First of all, you and this place is fucking crazy, and second of all you're not my goddamn parents." I muttered, avoiding her gaze. "You don't have the right to tell me what to do, so please, kindly fuck off." I smiled, trying to walk away, but a grip appeared on my shoulders.

"Know that the uniforms mean something." She continued, ignoring me. "Orange; you're new. Beige; you've been here for at least five months. Dark green; at least a year. But black; means that you're getting the needle in under three months."

I clenched my jaw. "What the fuck is the needle?"

"Eternal sleep, my dear." She smiled.

"You guys are fucking insane." I shook my head. "This is so fucked up! You can't just kill someone!"

"It seems as if I need to teach you another lesson, sweetie." She smirked. I cringed at the mention of that horrible nickname. "I'm sorry that your family situation wasn't ideal; but we're in charge of you now. You're under restraint of the law; and it's time you pay your consequences."

"I would pay, but I don't donate to charities." I smiled.

"This is what I mean. Act like this any farther, and I'll put you in room one instantly."

"It's hard to take orders from someone who is shorter than me." I leered. The lady just smiled; as if unphased by my comment. No offence, but she must have been used to it. I wonder how the weather was down there. Probably a bit hotter.

"I suppose it's time to bring you to the dining haul; it's supper time. In the dining haul, you may sit where you please; but choose wisely. You don't want to be sitting with the wrong crowd, nor will you want to associate yourself with them. Try to choose someone who is close to remission and seems sweet." She motioned for me to follow her down the same hallway the security guard took the boy. We passed by doors which looked a lot like chambers. I looked behind me, and two security guards were following us.