three

C H A P T E R     T H R E E

C H A P T E R T H R E E

W E S T

"Let's begin Case 801, six counts of drug dealing, four counts of drug abuse and one count of resistance of arrest. How do you plead on all counts, West?" The judge said, looking at me from her desk. The lawyer the police appointed me advised me to just plead guilty, and with my family history, they'd give me leeway of a couple years.

I scoffed. "Bullshit." My lawyer instantly widened her eyes. And the judge tilted her head. I didn't give a fuck about what I was saying, because I knew I wasn't going to jail. There was no way in hell.

"Excuse me?" The judge said, raising her eyes, clearly taken off guard with my statement.

"I think my client means that the charges appointed to her are unfair." My lawyer explained, walking towards the judge stand, trying to make sense of this whole situation. "With her family history and the rough living situation, she feels as if she was and or is treated unfairly." She started, but the judge interrupted.

"How would the charge of resisting arrest be unfair? She willingly avoided the police in her car." The judge pointed out. A ball of anger erupted in my stomach, making me shout.

"That is fucking unfair! That bitch Stephanie set me up! She told me to keep going!" I yelled, trying to throw up my hands up in the air, but couldn't because my hands were handcuffed. "She lied to me! Why the fuck am I the one in trouble?"It pissed me off how Stephanie did this to me. I wasn't supposed to be here right now; I was supposed to be at home, making money in my grandmothers basement.

"Once again, your honour, I'd like to apologize for the behaviour of my client. By her statement, she meant that Stephanie was pressuring her to avoid the police. Yelling at her to continue on. I'd like to remind you that West did pull aside to the curb."

Almost on que, the doors to the courtroom opened, and guess who the fuck walked in.

Stephanie did; with her stupid too big pearl earrings, her stupid preppy blouse and curled hair. She reminded me of how my grandma dresses. Just seeing her just made me want to punch her in the face.

Some may say I have an anger problem; but I think I'm just easily annoyed and rational. I just don't take bullshit from anyone nor will I make a fool out of myself for anyone to see.

"You!" I yelled, jumping up from the chair I was sitting on. My lawyer instantly put her hand on my shoulder; trying to calm me down and for me to sit back down.

The fact that Stephanie got to see me in my orange jumpsuit made me cringe and become furious. She put me here, she succeeded in her 'mission' and I was left to take the punishment.

"West, I suggest you do not yell or show any aggression." My lawyer whispered in my ear.  "The judge will give you a harsher sentence than the one you're already going to receive." I snapped my head to the side and scoffed.