Chapter Two

Author's Note: I'm sorry for the long wait I have been having really bad writer's block. But the wait is now over and here is chapter two.

Africa

The moonlight shined through my window as I cuddled both my children. The house was silent and I knew that this was my moment to run. I carefully moved out of my bed making sure that I didn't wake them up. Once my feet hit the soft carpeted floor I ran towards the closet pulling out a small backpack which contained me and the children's clothing that I had packed this morning. I walked to the corner of my room grabbing JR's car seat. I walked back over to the bed and scooped up my sleeping baby, carefully placing him in his car seat and strapping him in. I let the two sleep as I slung the backpack over my shoulder.

I knew that I would not be able to carry a car seat and Rhia at the same time so I decided to wake her up.

"Wake up honey." I whispered and shook her slightly.

She stirred a little and opened her eyes before closing them and falling back to sleep.

"Rhia. Wake up." I said in a quiet voice shaking her once more.

She huffed before sitting up in the bed.

"Come on honey. Put your shoes on."

"Why?" She whined.

"Because we're going on a trip. And I can't leave you here."

I grabbed her sandals holding them up so she could put them on. Once her shoes were on her feet I grabbed her hand and JR's car seat. I let go of Rhia's hand so I could open up the door. I grabbed the knob slowly turning it, I pulled the door open as slowly as I could so I wouldn't wake anyone up. Once the door was open I grabbed Rhia's hand and rushed quietly out the door. We walked quietly down the stairs, through the living room, and through the kitchen.

The kitchen was pitch black as I tried to move around as quietly as I could. I bumped into something I assumed was the refrigerator.

"Mommy I don't like the dark." Rhia said as she squeezed my hand.

The room went from dark to light. I looked down at Rhia who was staring at someone standing in the doorway. I turned my head in the same direction to see Jionni standing there with his arms crossed. He was dressed in plaid pajamas and no shirt.

"What's going on here?" He said in a groggy voice.

"We're going on a trip dad!" Rhia said excitedly.

"Oh really princess!" He said walking closer to us. I felt the blood in my body drain as he was soon standing right in front of us.

"How come I wasn't invited?"

"I don't know." Rhia shrugged.

"Well you know what's silly? Your mom doesn't even have any shoes on." He laughed and so did Rhia.

I looked down at my bare feet realizing that he was right. I was too busy trying to get out of here to really notice that I had no shoes on.

"Rhia sweetie let's get to bed." Marianna said. I didn't even see her standing there.

"But why? I wanted to go on a trip." She whined stomping her little feet.

"Honey you'll go on your trip later. But as of right now you need some rest." Rhia sighed before letting go of my hand and walking over to Marianna.

"Give me him." Jionni said holding out his hand for the car seat.

I snatched the car seat away from his reach. I took a few steps back until there was a lot of space in between us.

"Africa. Give. Him. To. Me." He gritted out.

"No." My voice cracked a little.

"You stupid ungrateful bitch!" He spat.

"If you think that I'm going to let you leave with my son. I will have a bullet put in your fucking skull you stupid bitch!"

I wasn't scared nor was I threatened. I was used to his verbal abuse. I was determined to leave this house.

Before I knew it he had snatched the car seat right out of my hand. He quickly passed the car seat to his mother before facing back to me.

I didn't even have time to process what had happened before I felt a hard slap. He grabbed my throat squeezing it hard. He shook me back and forth yelling.

"You don't fucking listen do you? I think you like when I hurt you." He yelled loudly in my face.

I could breathe and I was literally gagging, trying to slow the air to enter my lungs. I saw my life flash before my eyes. I saw my parents, my best friends and last but not least my children.

"Jionni stop!" Marianna screamed.

"Why? This bitch deserves to die." He squeezed even harder causing me to wheeze.

"She's pregnant."

And with that Jionni let me go and I fell hitting my head on the counter before I fell to the ground and all I could see was black.