Chapter 6

"What the hell happened last night?" Abby asked me as I furiously packed my things the next morning.
"Nothing," I growled, angrily shoving clothes into my bag.
"Clearly something did," she pursed her lips and tapped her foot. "Unless you're really pissed at your suitcase?"
I looked down, only then realizing I was repeatedly pounding on my suitcase to try and get it shut.
"He just fucking infuriates me so much!" I cried, shoving my suitcase away from me.
"Drake?"
"No, the fuckin suitcase," I snapped sarcastically.
"Well, tell me what happened," she insisted. "I thought you went to bed before Josh and I?"
"I did," I answered, sitting on the bed defeated. "But I couldn't sleep. I got back up and he was still out by the fire."
"So you two started fighting?"
"Not at first," I sighed. "At first it was nice. Kind of like it used to be. We talked and -"
"And?" she looked at me curiously.
"We had sex," I admitted, my cheeks flushing red.
"Cordelia!" she gasped. "What about Rick?"
"Don't remind me right now," I shook my head. "It was a mistake. We were hardly finished before he was grilling me to choose him or Rick. I told him I thought he was the reason I was having all these doubts and he flipped out that I wasn't for certain. Like I'm just supposed to drop everything once again for him? And the fucked up part is, I probably would have, had he given me a few minutes to get my head on straight, but as usual -"
"Drake can't keep his mouth shut," she finished my sentence, shaking her head.
"Exactly!"
"I get why you were beating your suitcase now," she joked. "I almost want a round or two with that thing."
I chuckled then sighed, "I thought maybe he had changed, but obviously I was wrong."
"I'm sorry sweetie," she said, hugging me.
"It's my own damn fault," I wiped the few tears that had escaped my eyes. "I knew better and I still let him get to me."
"That's because like it or not, you still love him."
"I don't like him very much right now," I scoffed.
"No, I don't imagine so," she laughed. "I can't say I'm too crazy about him either. But he still gets to you for a reason."
I nodded, "I know. But I can't go through all of this again. And I do love Rick, too. He's such a good guy. I need to go back to New York. All of this ocean air is affecting my brain."
She laughed again, "I don't think it's the air dear."
"Well, whatever it is, I need to go home."
"This used to be your home," she said softly.
"It still is in a way," I replied, knowing my words hurt her feelings. "But New York is my home too. I have to go back there. I need to marry Rick and forget this whole thing ever happened."
"When does your plane leave?" she asked, staring at her feet.
"Two," I answered.
"Wanna get breakfast with Josh and I before you take off?"
"I'd love that," I smiled. "I need to get as much time with you guys as I can."
"We'll be there for the wedding, if there's still gonna be a wedding that is?"
"Oh there is!" I nodded vigorously. "And I know I'll see you guys then. But I don't get enough time with you guys so I have to soak you both up for as long and as much as I can. That's the worst thing about New York, you two aren't there."
"Aww you're making me all weepy," she pouted. "You should just move home. Talk Rick into it."
I laughed, "Yeah, right. If only. He'd never leave his mommy."
"Ooh, that was bitter."
"His mother hates me!" I complained. "She thinks I only want him for his money."
"If that was the case," she said. "You could've stayed here and gotten a sugar daddy AND had gorgeous weather all year long."
"Right?" I laughed. "That's what I keep telling her. She doesn't find it amusing."
"She's crotchety," she simplified.
"She's a WASP," I nodded.
"Like I said," she teased.
"Just wait til you meet her."
"I'm gonna have fun with that," she grinned. "Come on let's go jump on Joshy and wake him up. I'm starving!"
It felt good to laugh as we ran into her bedroom and jumped on the the bed where Josh was still sleeping.
Without missing a beat, Josh looked from Abby to me before smirking.
"Alright!" he nodded proudly. "Threesome!"
I punched him in the shoulder, "Ass!"
He grinned that big dopey smile of his, "What else would two beautiful ladies be in my bed for?"
"We want breakfast!" Abby scowled at him playfully.
"So go cook me something," he replied.
This time she punched him in his other shoulder.
"Ouch," he rubbed the shoulder she just punched. "You hit harder than Cordy."
"She doesn't have to live with you," she glared at him.
He growled at her teasingly.
"We want to go out to breakfast," I told him. "Ya know. You buy us breakfast. I'm leaving today, ya know, Joshy Bear."
"Well be in New York in 9 days CordyCue," he replied mocking my whiney tone.
"Fine, bye," I teased and climbed off the bed pretending I was leaving then.
"Ugh," he groaned. "Fine. Let me get dressed, whine ass."
I turned back and grinned at him, "I knew you'd see it my way Joshy!"
I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. Abby kissed his other cheek and bounded off the bed. We linked arms and headed for the door.
"I hate you both," he called out.
"No, you don't!" We replied in unison, giggling as we walked out of the room.
"I missed this," I told Abby as we walked in the kitchen. "I miss you guys, so much."
"We miss you, too, baby cakes," she said with a smile. "That's why you need to move home. Just tell Rick 'look there's big lawyer gigs in LA, and the weather is better and Abby and Joshy are here and -'"
"I wish he would go for that," I sighed. "But he won't. He loathes LA."
"New Yorkers," she scoffed in disgust.
"Hey I'm a New Yorker now," I protested.
"Barely," she shook her head. "You may reside there now, but you'll always be a California girl."
"Oh, I wish they all could be California girls," Josh came out of the bedroom singing the Beach Boys classic.
"More like," I said then Abby and I both broke out singing.
"California girls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
We'll melt your popsicle
Oooooh Oh Oooooh"

Josh laughed, "Katy Perry you're not ladies, but it was cute."
I stuck my tongue out at him and Abby slugged him in the shoulder again.
"Listen here lady," Josh pretended to get stern. "If you do that five or six hundred more times, it's definitely gonna be over. Total spousal abuse over here."
"I didn't realize we were married my dear," Abby batted her eyes at him innocently.
"We've been together long enough," he argued. "It's like common law marriage now."
"Nope, not good enough," Abby played it up like she was mad.
"If you like it then you should put a ring on it," I said in a sing song voice.
Josh scowled at me and Abby laughed.
"You know I'm just fuckin' with you, Joshy," she put her arms around his neck and kissed him.
"I'm not," I shrugged sticking my tongue out at him again.
"Yeah," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "And you're who I look to for relationship advice."
"Ha! Ha!" I cackled. "Funny. Let's go."
"Should we invite Drake?" Josh asked, gathering his keys and his phone off the counter.
"NO!" Both Abby and I practically shouted together.
"Whoa," Josh put his hands up defensively, clearly taken aback by our outburst. "I think I missed something. I thought you two were getting along?"
"Yeah things change," I answered quickly. "Abby can fill you in later. I don't wanna talk about him right now."
"Oooh Kay," he said purposely dragging out the word.
"Touchy subject," Abby whispered to him.
"I see this," he nodded.
"Can we please go eat?" I rolled my eyes.
"Now she's getting hangry," Josh whispered back to Abby.
"Totally," Abby agreed.
"I hate you guys," I frowned.
"No, you don't!" They both grinned in unison.
I threw my hands up in disgust and walked out of their house, sending them both into a fit of giggles.