Chapter One: Moving In

Gerard's P.O.V: 

I stared out of the open window sullenly and watched the moving van as it pulled up and into my driveway. It was like I had been in denial until now. It was like I hadn't fully realized the extent of what had happened even after a month full of mourning. There was this surreal air about the way my days passed by and I found myself missing the little things that Lyn Z used to do. I missed the sound of her bass and the smell of her fresh perfume. I missed the feel of her soft skin touching mine and us mutually stealing each other's warmth through the night.

I leaned forward and pressed my forehead onto the cold window pane, the loss ripping through me. It was never going to be the same ever again. I held my emotions inside as Bandit's running shoes clomped throughout the house. I heard her enter the door and I threw on a smile just for her. She was my reason to keep going- to keep living.

"Daddy, guess what?" I turned around and Bandit launched herself into my arms. I picked her up and swung her around a little bit and her childish laughter echoed around the room. I held her close before setting her back down onto the ground. Nine-year-olds weren't exactly the lightest children to carry and quite frankly, I was a little weak from little sleep and not eating enough. It was hard to do simple things now. So much reminded me of Lyn.

"What Beezle?"

"You have to guess!"

"What does it start with?"

"It starts with an F, C, L, and M."

"Um," I played with her. "I have no idea at all."

"Daddy! It's Frank, Cherry, Lily, and Miles! They're finally here!" Bandit replied while jumping up and down, ticking the names off her little fingers. Her eyes possessed an excitement that hadn't been present a lot over this past month.

Bandit rushed from the room, yelling for me to follow her to the door. I chuckled at her exuberance before making any movement to follow her towards the front door. I could at least try to put the sadness behind me for one day.

Bandit was already jumping excitedly by the door and I smiled at her before pulling it open. I heard Cherry, Lily, and Miles way before I saw them. They were outside one moment and inside the next, demanding that Bandit take them to her room to play with them. I heard the stomping of shoes up the staircase and the sound of Bandit's door slamming closed. I hadn't even gotten to say hello and they were already gone. I shook my head and another small smile took place. At least they were comfortable and familiar with the place. Plus, I'd have all the time in the world to say hello to them now since they were moving in for good.

I slid on my shoes and stepped outside into the September air. I found Frank standing behind the off-white moving truck. He had his head bent down lowly and his shoulders were trembling with each breath he took. I didn't say anything as I approached him. Instead, I rested my hand softly on his shoulder. He looked at me with red rimmed eyes that were surrounded with dark black sleep deprived bags. It looked as if he hadn't slept properly for the entire month that had passed. I gently squeezed his shoulder and he smiled tenatively, "I'll be fine. I just couldn't help remembering the way Jams would kiss me goodbye before we went on tours years ago. It kind of feels like it except this time the kids are right along with us for the ride."

He let out a shaky breath and ran his hand through his short brown hair. We didn't say anything for the longest time until Frank looked back at the house- our house, "How's little Beezle doing?"

"I haven't seen her smile this much in a while. I think she's coping better than we are sometimes. She's strong, you know. It's always been that way. She's a spitting image of Lyn, too." Frank leaned heavily on the bumper of the moving truck. He searched in and around his pockets until realization dawned on him; he had quit smoking long ago. He had done it for Jamia, his kids, and his unhealthy lungs a long time before I had even thought of quitting.

Sadly, I had picked up the habit again and offered him one from the plain package. Frank looked at it longingly before shaking his head. I put the pack away and nodded towards the van, "Should I hire or do we got this?"

"Help would be nice but maybe tomorrow. It was a long drive and I'm really tired. The kids never slept." He laughed and shook his head playfully, "They were really excited for this. They love you and Beezle. They always look for reasons to come back and play. Well, except Miles; he wants another boy."

As if on queue Miles comes rushing out of the house on his stubby six-year-old legs and launches himself into his Dad's arms. Frank had quickly crouched down on his knees to intercept his son- more or less to avoid a not-so-nice hit to the crotch- and Miles slammed into his chest making them both fall over giggling. I watched the two of them playing and noticed how Frank's eyes lit up as he interacted with his son. I saw just how much the two of them looked alike.

Miles had Frank's natural medium brown hair and the hazel eyes that were always so beautiful. When they stopped tickling each other and wrestling around, they both looked at me, smiling stupidly, and I saw the same shade of eye color staring back at me in both their eyes. But Miles also had a lot of Jamia's traits. He had her long, straight nose and her thin, lined lips. He was the perfect blend between his parents and a handsome kid. He'd only grow up and continually get more attractive.

Eventually, Frank set Miles down and he ran to me. I swooped him up into my arms and he starting tugging on my hair. Frank had cut his reasonably short before the accident, but I hadn't had the chance. I took his stubby hands out of my hair and playfully flicked him in the ear. I set him down again when he started squirming.

"Hey Miles, man?"

"Yeah, daddy?"

"Why don't you go up and play with Bandit and your sisters so Gerard and I can talk?" Frank looked at me in question and I silently nodded.

"But daddy, they only wanna play Barbies!" Miles complained loudly while Frank and I laughed.

"Bandit has a Nintendo DSi sitting on the kitchen counter if you want to use it, Miles," I offered. His hazel eyes lit up considerably before he nodded frantically. Frank spanked his son's butt playfully and Miles ran into the house at top speed. I took note on how their personalities were alike, too; both hyper and energetic, "He's a lot like you."

"Really? I feel like he looks more like Jams. He has her hair and mouth."

"He has your eyes and personality."

Frank smiled at me and the conversation went flat. Frank turned around and started pulling little boxes out of the large van. I caught on quickly and began stacking them in my arms. We worked for several hours until my arms were wobbly and I couldn't stand anymore.

Miles was still sitting on the couch, engrossed with Bandit's Nintendo as we sat down on the couch beside him. It was now around five and the girls were screaming loudly up the stairs. I heard Cherry yell for Bandit and Frank smirked up in their general direction before shrugging at me, "I give them two days before they start making the floors turn into lava."

I shook my head and let out a laugh. I could feel my depression seeping into my pores again. I was no longer busy and the silence between us gave my mind time to think. Thinking was my best and worst enemy. I heard my stomach growl and I stood up, "Who's ready for take-out?"

@TragicDeathStar