Chapter Eleven: War Paint

Gerard’s POV:

I’ve had an idea for the past couple of days now, but I wasn’t sure how to bring it up with Frank. We were now in the month of December and Frank was a little under the weather since he found out that winters in California were nothing like winters in Jersey. California very rarely got snow--at least where we were living--and the temperature barely dropped. We were still sitting on a comfortable 70 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the beaches were still warm. The only difference was that the nights got colder, but it was taken care of with a few extra blankets.

We were up bright and early on a Saturday morning before the kids were even up, which was odd for the both of us--or at least me. Usually I got up around noon on the weekends and everyone else was already up and dressed and getting on with their day. When I woke up, Frank was already sitting at the table with a newspaper in his hand, his phone was somewhere unknown since yesterday, but it’s not like he used it very often besides a few Twitter and Instagram updates. So, when I dropped into the kitchen, Frank just set the newspaper down and stared at me, "You’re up early."

"Mmph," I groaned,"S’early."

Frank laughed, "Yeah, that it is. There’s coffee on the counter over there and the kids will be up in about thirty more minutes. They think I don’t know that they’re already up and playing with toys and stuff, but I do."

I just smiled sleepily and made my way over to the coffeemaker. Frank picked up his newspaper and resumed whatever he was reading. Once I poured myself a cup, I sat down at the table across from Frank. He set the newspaper down and shot me an amused look. I chose to ignore it before he frowned slightly, "How good are we on money?"

I set down my mug and concluded that it was way too early to be talking about money, but I wasn’t complaining. I’d had enough saved up and from selling comic books and whatnot. Plus, I had money stashed away from when we were a band and that wasn’t even mentioning the few art pieces I sold every now and then. I shrugged, "I’ve got enough for us to sit on for a while, why?”

"I haven’t been doing much since, well, you know, and I think it would be productive for me to get a job or something. Even if we don’t need the money, I feel like it would keep me busy and give me something to do while the kids are at school." Frank played with his fingers as he talked, "Yesterday, I heard one of our songs on the radio and I realized that I haven't been playing guitar anymore. I haven't been doing much of anything really and I want to. I don't want to spend my life doing nothing productive. I want to play again; I want to get outside again."

I nodded and finished the last of my coffee, "Frank, Frankie, you're allowed to do whatever makes you happy. If you think that getting a job will benefit you, then do it. I'll stand behind you the whole way. Also, the guitar thing can be taken care of if you just call Mikey. He knows a ton of studios around here. Plus, he plays at his house all the time."

"Gerard, I honestly don’t think you know how awesome you are!" Frank got up from the table and hugged me. His shampoo wafted in my direction and it smelt amazing. I just smiled and we stayed in that position until a loud thud sounded from upstairs along with a ton of hushed giggles. Frank pulled back, his cheeks tinted red, and he rolled his eyes at me with a big smile on his face.

"So, when are you going to start looking for places and whatnot?"

Frank blushed an even darker red as he went to sit back down in his seat, "Well, I’ve been thinking about this for the past couple of days, really. I started calling around and I have an interview in a couple of hours, which is why I brought this up." Frank looked down at his hands, his unreadable.

I stood up the table, "That’s amazing, Frank! What are you doing down here then? Get your cute--get your ass upstairs and get ready! I’ve got something planned for the kids anyways."