Chapter Seven: The Aftermath

Gerard’s P.O.V

Dots of light prickled behind my eyes as I came to myself. The pillow underneath my head felt heavenly as a band marched through my head, making a lot of noise and making me cringe. I laid down into my pillow for a little longer, refusing to open my eyes. I was completely sure that I was hung-over and I wanted nothing more than a cup of coffee and a dose of aspirin.

I turned a little in my bed and the pain only intensified. It was times like these that I wish Lindsey was still here, sleeping next to me. She was much more responsible than I was. She didn’t drink excessively and she always seemed to know exactly what I needed when I needed it. I felt a soft pang in my heart and it was true what they say. Time did heal all wounds. It definitely wasn’t hurting as bad as it did a couple of months ago. I missed her. I missed her like fucking crazy, but I knew now that I could manage without her. Just the thought of managing without her made me upset, but it was enough to pull myself out of bed and grit my teeth against the throbbing in my head.

The room seemed to pitch and roll violently once I was standing. I had to grip the bed frame and close my mouth to avoid puking all over the floor. I bolted dizzily towards the bathroom in my room and barely had enough time to lean over the toilet before I was throwing up. It felt like my stomach was twisting itself inside out, but I had to admit that I felt better after getting rid of the contents in my stomach. Minutes later, I stood shakily at the counter and wiped my mouth sloppily with the back of my hand. I turned the cold water on and pulled the aspirin out of the medicine cabinet. I dipped my head down below the water and lapped it up like a dog from the sink, swallowing the pills with it. They’d take about thirty minutes to kick in, that I knew.

I looked at myself in the mirror and brushed my greasy hair out of my face, my lips looking swollen. Something about looking at my lips nagged the back of my brain, but I figured it was just the hangover and my sudden burning need for a cup of coffee. I rubbed my eyes tiredly before brushing my teeth quickly with my finger. If I used toothpaste, then my coffee would taste horribly and I didn’t need that at the moment.

I walked awkwardly out of my room and had to hold the banister on the stairs to hold myself upright, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. I felt a little more human, but my head was still scraping against itself relentlessly, and it was kind of pain to have to stop every other stair just to stop another dizzy spell.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I could hear shuffling coming from the kitchen and low voices and there was the familiar sound of mugs clanking together. I stumbled a bit on my way towards the kitchen and right before I was able to open the door, Mikey pulled it open. We jumped simultaneously and then Mikey gripped at his head, groaning, “Morning, Gee.”

“Mikey,” It took me a moment before it suddenly hit me. Last night had been Frank’s birthday, we sent the kids to Roz’s house, Ray had left when Christa picked him up, and Mikey had fallen asleep on the couch, but that didn’t account for Frank or how I managed to get into my bedroom.

“You’re worse than the rest of us. Frank’s still grumbling a bit, but two mugs and a third on the way seem to be helping. I’m good enough to drive home or whatever.” Mikey flapped his hand in the air dismissively. “Be good with Frank, he seems to be out of it this morning.”

Mikey looked at me pointedly before rolling his eyes and heading towards the door. He was almost out the door when I called to him, “What the hell is that even supposed to mean?” I was definitely too hung over for this and Mikey only waved absently over his shoulder before leaving.

I grumbled under my breath something about mysteriously acting brothers before pushing the kitchen door open and running right into Frank. His mug hit my chest and splashed burning hot coffee on the both of us. I yelled “Fuck!” at the same time Frank exclaimed “Jesus!” Coffee splattered and landed on the front of my shirt, dripping down onto my feet while it scorched Frank’s hands and the spilt all over the floor. Frank hissed before rushing over to the table and setting the mug down, blowing on his hands. I just stood there in shock before leaning forward and pulling the burning shirt away from my skin. It was quite the sight.