Part 18: Guardian Angel

Natalia Parker:

"So, you'll come over again, right?"

Arizona holds the conversation as we make our way up to the school's front doors. Cassis, on the other side of the brunette, has her hands in the pockets of her grey school blazer, her blonde head down.

In my dark blue skirt and white sweater shirt, I bite my bottom lip. "I suppose, just..just no drinking next time, yeah?" It still feels weird that I woke up naked, unaware of how it happened. Parting ways with the girls, I wave goodbye, heading to my locker.

The classes go by rather quickly, my head pounding lightly. I rarely pay attention, finding myself lost in an unknown world. When the bell rings, signalling the end of English, I flinch in my seat. Shaking my head, shaking away the lost feeling and coming back to reality, I find Cassis staring at me. Looking away quickly, I pack my bag.

"I'll be in the dance room," I say, "I don't think I can handle the cafe with this hangover."

Cassis's brows push together in what appears to be concern - or worry - but she nods. "I- We'll get you some food and bring it there."

Pushing over the doors to the changeroom, I open an unlocked locker to set my bag in for the time being. Heading to the showers, I strip from my clothes, hanging them over the door with a towel. Turning the knob, cool water falls over my body. Standing under the water, I become numb to the surroundings.

Nothing really goes on in my head. I just simply stand there, the cool water thudding against my body. I don't even realize that I'm shivering because I've become so cold. Purple tints appear at the base of my nails, spreading out slowly.

Turning off the water, I lean my pounding head against the wall. Breathing in deeply, I wipe away the droplets of water from my face.

When I turn, I find that the towel and clothes are gone. The changeroom is completely silent, until a slight shuffle is heard, followed by a muffled giggle.

 "Hello? Who is out there?" I call, my arms crossed over my chest as I shiver, my teeth chattering. When no answer is returned, I carefully climb onto the shower bench. Looking over the wall, I find the shower section empty. "This isn't funny."

A pair of muffled giggles echo through the changeroom, followed by a short squeal, as if somone had smacked them for giggling.

Frustrated, I smack to side of the wall. "I'm serious."

"Oh, Natalia, honey, come on out. We're all just girls, here," comes a voice that sends a sick feeling through my stomach.

Avery Michaels, Cassis's rival.

"Give me back my clothes and the towel." I beg, "I'm freezing."

Avery laughs from beyond the door. "They're out here. Come and get them."

"Just bring my clothes back," My hands ball into irritated fists, my brow furrowed.

Avery comes into view, a smallish group of dancers on her heel. She drops my clothes, along with the towel, on a bench. With a smirk, she stands next to it, her arms crossed over her perfect chest. She dares me with her eyes.

Glaring hard at the girl, my arms stay at my sides with balled fists. Giving into the fact that she isn't going to give me my clothes, I slide down the side of the wall, curling up on the bench.

"Oh, come on, honey. Don't be shy," she coos. Her posse giggles like an evil symphony. "You can't be shy if you want to be in Cassis James's company. Tsk, tsk."

My body feels numb from the cool air. Shaking and shivering, I walk back into the shower, twisting the knob for hot water. "Just put my stuff back." I say, waiting for the water to warm, my teeth chattering.