Chapter 6b - THE MONSTER - Completing The Circuit

Continuing our circumnavigation of the loch. We pass the Abbey on our left and head towards the south side of the loch along the A862. As we skirt Borlum Bay we come across one of the finest Loch Ness views. You can see the entire twenty-three mile length (see above). On warm calm days see if you can spot the mirages on the horizon, but you won't see them in the stormy photograph of the loch during an easterly gale shown opposite.

The road now climbs steeply towards the Glen Doe deer forest. You will see junctions on this road leading to the first new hydro-electric power plant to built in Scotland for decades, not without its teething problems.

The road meanders past Loch Tarff, which features in the cult Highland film "Local Hero" and then begins another steep climb towards Cumin's seat where you will find another magnificent view looking northeast towards Inverness. The view from the Suidhe provides a stunning vista over rolling hills stretching tens of miles into the distance and I have often taken television crews there on fine days. 

Loch Ness is no longer in sight as we continue along Wade's road on its long straight descent

Loch Ness is no longer in sight as we continue along Wade's road on its long straight descent. Soon we pass the Knockie Lodge Estate and the Whitebridge hotel. Beside the latter hotel is another of General Wade's bridges. General George Wade shown above. If you stop to photograph it, note the rhomboidal central feature which proclaims that it was constructed by Redcoat soldier engineers. A portrait of this famous road builder is shown overleaf.

[Footnote 33: Knockie Lodge is no longer a hotel. In its day it was one of the finest country house hotels in the Highlands. Run by Ian and Brenda Milward (of needle fame), their guests were privileged to become almost like family during their stay. Kitchen tea on the lawn in the afternoon, then the most wonderful multi-course gourmet feast laid out on a stunning table.]

]