Chapter 23 - CONCLUSIONS

I have no idea where I will be in ten or twenty years time. Probably and hopefully still sitting in our lovely garden overlooking one of the most stunning views in the world.

I hope that I have entertained people who have heard my talks and taken my tours. I know that, to some small degree, I have educated millions of people in the history of the area and the Loch Ness story through my exhibitions, documentaries and books. I have always tried to do what is right in my life and there is a lot of satisfaction from that in itself. Why my projects win such high awards and accolades but make no money for me will be a perennial mystery. Perhaps it is a malevolent goblin who takes pleasure in building me up and then knocking me down.

What about my readers? Will they have gained anything from this book?

I will have readers who still believe there may be some form of prehistoric Jurassic reptiles living in Loch Ness. I don't know how I can ever convince them that they are wrong and it probably doesn't matter. We all need our dreams.

Other readers may nod their heads knowingly that they always knew there was nothing in the loch anyway. In fact very few of them will read this book as it is just "that old monster rubbish". There is a great deal of arrogance in that attitude and it is a rather sad reflection on those individuals. Those who did manage to read it, however, I hope have gained an understanding that there was more to this story than may have been initially obvious.

I also hope there are some readers who will have enjoyed the journey we have followed, will have discovered how this whole fascinating mystery burst upon the world and went on to develop into one of the greatest mysteries of our time.

The logic of how sensible people, among whom I number myself, were convinced to accept the possibility of something extraordinary in Loch Ness is easy to understand and should not be ridiculed now that we can see that the possibility has become infinitesimally remote.

Could there be a giant sturgeon, relict from the time when lake sturgeon perhaps lived in Europe? That also seems very unlikely indeed, but certainly not impossible.

I do encounter some individuals who claim that I am trying to destroy the tourist industry and that if a large sturgeon were caught in Loch Ness that would be the end of it anyway.

This is certainly not true because if a sturgeon were caught it is quite obvious what would transpire. Firstly an urgent call would be made to the Chairman of the Scottish Tourist Board. He would jump into a helicopter and arrive at the loch with a squadron of press in tow.

He would then walk over to the sturgeon, which, for the sake of argument is lying on the lochside twenty feet (six metres) long. He would turn towards the press, in full Highland dress and announce, "Finally we have the answer to one of the greatest mysteries at Loch Ness."

"At last we know what the monster eats!"

You can't kill Nessie, she is indestructible and long may she remain so.