28: headlights

100 votes/ comments

Cass (during the day that Lacy got sick)

"Hold still little guy.." I breathed, as I approached a squirrel chewing on something in its small hands

I gripped my hand made spear tightly in my hand, walking so carefully it strained my legs. I breathed out cautiously, aiming the spear at the small animal.

I stepped back to toss the spear, freezing as I heard a crunch under my boot as a twig snapped, the squirrel flicking it's head to stare at me

We stared each other down for a moment, and I quickly raised the spear, chucking it forcefully in the squirrels direction, as I watched it sink only inches from the squirrels feet into the dirt. It darted away up the tree line.

"Fuck!" I hissed, kicking dirt, leaving my spear behind behind

I trudged down the road, looking for any sign of a human that wasn't covered in rotting flesh.

The sun wasn't as hot today, and a cool breeze brushed my hair back from my face. Grey clouds drifted among the sky, and I was hoping that it was going to rain today.

I sighed, dragging my feet aimlessly down the road, passing by broken down cars and tree limbs that had been tossed on the road and long forgotten about.

I walked until the sky had darkened, and my feet burned, begging me to stop and sit down. I walked a little further, the sound of crickets evident in the woods next to the road.

It amazed me how life which had once been buzzing with human activity was now silent, the world as we know it basically coming to a complete halt. 7 billion faces, busy with work or school, now dead, decaying, or surviving.

It was as if I could still here the sound of a car driving down the road, or the sounds of normal conversation.

I picked my head up suddenly, realizing that the car sound was not just my imagination, it was real.

I turned around, seeing a silver car driving down the narrow road, fallen leaves blowing off the road as the speed of the tires sent them flying.

I panicked momentarily, struggling with a decision.

Run, or stay?

I breathed heavily, deciding to run for it as I took off down the road, sprinting as fast as I could. My boots stomped down on the pavement as I pushed forward. The car sped up, almost catching up to me.

It passed me, flying by, then coming to a stop a short ways ahead.

I panted, trying to regain my breath as I came to a slow walk, unsure if I should approach the car. I pulled out my gun, gripping it nervously in my hands as I walked towards it.

The windows were darkened, as I tried to peer inside to see who was in it.

The drivers window slowly rolled down as I came face to face with an angry, yet relieved Rick Grimes.

Olivia

I kicked off my shoes, laying on the couch in the abandon house I had just broken into. Dust littered the floor, as I stared at the footprints my shoes left in the dust.

I let out a long breath, stretching my arms over my head and yawning. My hands rested on my stomach, staring down at it still shocked that there Was another human being living inside of me.

My eyes shifted to the ceiling as I laid my head back on the pillow closing my eyes.

The house was dead silent apart from my soft breathing, and my heartbeat.
I began to slowly drift asleep, until I felt my stomach clench. My eyes flew open as I grabbed my shirt pulling it up, but not able to see anything. Searing pain erupted in my lower abdomen as I gasped for breath, gripping the side table next to the couch to stand up.