Almost Too Good: Part 1

The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon

'Alright so my next guest can be seen in the upcoming summer blockbusterMidsummer, will you please welcome the lovely, the wonderful, Adrian Warner!'

The Roots began to play an upbeat jazz tune as I made my way around the corner and into the view of all of the cameras and studio audience. I could hear all of the clapping and cheering but my mind zoned in on my need to multi-task by making sure my skirt wasn't riding up along with trying not to trip over in my heels on this shiny floor. All the while I'm making sure to give everyone a big smile and a wave, simple tasks that often proved tricky in such high-pressure environments.

I breathed a sigh of relief as the music began to die down and I reached the seats and greeted Jimmy with a kiss on the cheek and a friendly hug and as I took my seat, I prepared myself for the interview to begin.

Jimmy: So nice to have you! Thanks for coming on!

Adrian: Thank you, I love being here!

It was my third time being there, although technically my second if you count the fact that my first one was back on his Late Night Show. It was incredible how life worked and things changed. In my original interview I was 20 years old and promoting my CW teen show Tall Bill that was in its fifth and final season, a prospect which terrified me at the time. Flash forward five years and suddenly here we are again, having made the jump from the small screen to the big screen.

Jimmy: I have to say, I saw the movie last night and wow, it's so crazy!

Adrian: I know right!? Did you like it?

Jimmy: My wife and I, I saw it with my wife and a few friends, and uh we were just so blown away, it's just so clever. Who's the director again?

Adrian: Mia Tromp

Jimmy: Mia Tromp! She did a great job!

Adrian: She really did! I think anyone who has read the books can vouch that it's just so unique and beautifully written that not just anyone could come on board and truly make it work on-screen but Mia really, she really just made everyone feel so comfortable and confident in what we were doing. Yeah, it was just an all-round great experience to film.

Jimmy: I bet! And you filmed it in Hawaii which must've just been so beautiful!

Adrian: Oh my gosh, it was paradise. I had never been and actually I have a pretty funny story about when Paul and I arrived....

Interviews didn't bother me anymore, I found them to be pretty straight-forward. You come on, you smile, talk about the movie a little, talk about a funny story that involved a co-star and then discuss something probably on the more personal side, although I never got too personal. My personal anecdotes always centered on my childhood or something like the story of why my parents gave me the male spelling of my name (my mom went off and did it and didn't realise her mistake until she showed the birth certificate to my dad) or how did I juggle school and the idea of wanting to be an actress. Nothing major ever came of it but I always managed to get a laugh out of whoever was questioning me and the audience.

As I finished up my story on how my co-star Paul had a few too many on the plane and within two seconds of arriving in Hawaii decided to get naked and jump into the ocean, only to get stung and run around screaming 'SOMEONE PEE ON ME! SOMEONE PEE ON ME!' we proceeded to talk about how I felt about the tour so far and before I knew it, my short interview had come to an end.

Jimmy: Oh my gosh, well, I'm still laughing at that whole Paul Drew story!

Adrian: I know, I'm not sure if I will treasure the memory forever or if I'm just plain scarred by it haha!

Jimmy: Alright well thank you for stopping by, Adrian Warner everyone! Be sure to catch her in Midsummer, in cinemas from the 10th April! Alright we'll be right back after this with Captain America himself, Mr Chris Evans, don't go anywhere!'

Backstage as I began to change out of my Chanel dress and into my jeans and blouse, I decided to take this rare moment alone to flop down on the brown leather couch that they had provided and stare at the ceiling. The last few years had been so crazy that it was actually so wonderful to have a moment's peace. Vogue covers, Harper's Bazaar covers, fashion events, movie premieres, shooting schedules, they all took their toll. But of course, I am in no way complaining. I didn't have to do it all, my energy came from the fact that I loved my job and loved doing it and I was in such a fortunate position where I could mix passions. By no means was I a model, but I love fashion and quality and I know what looks good on me and what definitely doesn't. I remember reading something years ago about how a top actress was causing waves because she didn't have a stylist and I knew from that moment I would follow the same path and oh man, I'm so grateful that I did. Fashion is something that speaks to my soul and I had made many friends in the industry over the years, another thing I was grateful for because it meant freebies of gorgeous dresses and I of course was happy to help their brands gain publicity if I wore their pieces to something. So I get to wear beautiful dresses to wonderful events, it's all a win-win situation if you ask me.

Another thing I was grateful for was the fact that the Midsummer publicity tour was rounding off in New York because it meant I got to sleep in my in bed at night instead of some random hotel room. Although travelling was to me a wonderful luxury and not something I took for granted, it can get a bit monotonous when instead of seeing any of the beauty in the places we visit, it was simply either the interior of a car or hotel room and of course the exception of wherever we were doing press that day, which was more often than not the interior of a different hotel room. All the travelling and scheduling could lead for a lonely life, which is something I was beginning to discover. My previous boyfriend, Alex, had been my co-star on Tall Bill and we'd dated all the way up until last year, about a month before my 25thbirthday. Since then, my life had just been about working to keep my mind off it, but recently working has proved to be an obstacle at not being able to meet anybody.

I sat up from the couch, waiting for my assistant Amy to break the peace at any moment. My eyes wandered over to the TV screen in the room that was playing the live feed of the rest of the show. I had the sound turned down so I couldn't hear what was being said but I could see what was on offer. I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't dying to meet Captain America. Having grown up with two older brothers who loved anything remotely geeky, it was safe to say it had rubbed off on me. I also have two older sisters who are fellow actress' and will partake in our nerdy family film nights whenever we'd all get together, but they were by no means as bad as me. Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC, Lord of the Rings, you name it and there's a strong chance I love it; and this new Avengers series was no different.

Since the new Captain America movie was coming out around the same time as Midsummer I had actually been in close proximity to him on quite a few occasions. There were times where I would be on a show and then he'd be on the next night or vice versa. There was also times like tonight where we'd be on the same show, however even after all these weeks and close calls, I had yet to meet him. Perhaps tonight was the night I could convince Amy to let us hang around for a little while instead of just running out the door to a different engagement.

——————————————————

Hello!! So this was my first attempt at writing something like this so please let me know if you liked it and would care at all for me to continue! Regardless either way if you're reading this it meant that you might have given it a go and for that, I thank you :)