Chapter Two

"Oh, Ichimatsu," Osomatsu called, his voice as smooth as silk. Such a tempting voice to follow. "I have something to tell you,"

Ichimatsu flapped his wings weakly as he approached Satan's throne.

Osomatsu crossed his legs, leaned his left arm on his knee, and rested his chin on his hand.

"I have detected a pure human being on Earth. Such a pure person makes me shiver with disgust. Their smile is a nasty think to place eyes on, and there is utterly nothing that moves them. Nothing that makes them want to turn to me. They cannot hear my voice. I repeat, they cannot hear my voice." Osomatsu spat in anger and disgust as a sly look began to grow in his eyes.

"What do you want me to do?" Ichimatsu asked, scared that he would be sent back to his cell at any moment.

"I'm sending you to Earth. Murder this person. Bring their soul to me. I don't want such terrible humans to influence my future demons," Osomatsu ordered. "If you can't kill him within a month, I will send you back to your jail cell. No, I will have you executed. It's not that hard, really. Just take your time, Ichimatsu. I know that you can do something as easy as this. Even though you are a worthless cripple."

Ichimatsu bowed his head at Osomatsu.

"I will try my best, master," he replied, his voice trembling.

"You don't sound the least bit sure of yourself. Is it because of how broken you are? Who could ever blame you?" Osomatsu laughed.

Ichimatsu cringed as he bit back a sharp retort. He had waited years for this day. There was no way he would ruin his opportunity by talking back at Satan.

"Goodbye, Ichimatsu," Osomatsu said blankly, and all of Hell went completely dark. Like a switch had just been flipped.

"What?" Ichimatsu asked fearfully, not able to tell if his eyes were closed or now.

It turns out they were closed, because when he opened them up, he found himself in a world that felt much nicer than Hell.

The air around him wasn't burning hot. It was just the right temperature for a demon like Ichimatsu.

Sighing, Ichimatsu stared up at the sky. It felt so wrong to be seeing blue skies once again. He remembered, in his past life, the days where he would roam around on this Earth.

Shaking his head vigorously, Ichimatsu looked around, trying to ignore the memories of his own past life that were suddenly in his head. No wonder Osomatsu hated Earth so much. It brought back memories of things Ichimatsu didn't want to remember at all.

"Where is the pure one that Osomatsu told me to find?" Ichimatsu asked, looking around. He was standing in front of a building that had a huge cross on the top of it.

A trickle of fear ran through Ichimatsu's veins when he saw this. It was the sign that Osomatsu had always warned his demons to stay away from.

"This is a church, isn't it?" he thought bitterly, flapping his wings as he approached its doors. Despite the uneasy feelings he had about this place, he also had a strong gut feeling that this "pure" person dwelled here.

"And may the God above bless you greatly," a man said as he rested his two hands on top of two small children. They had to have been around the age of five. Perhaps they were being blessed before school was starting.

"I don't belong here at all..." Ichimatsu thought, wishing he could find a rope to kill himself with. But no, he had to kill this man. There was just something about him that made Ichimatsu feel like he was the one in the wrong. "Why does Osomatsu hate this person? They have done nothing to harm this person! But...they're doing good. I'm supposed to remove all good from this world, right? That IS my goal."

Ichimatsu flew up to the children at a high speed, knocking them away from the man who had his eyes closed, a pleasant smile on his face.

The two children screeched at the top of their lungs, racing towards the two huge doors that led to the exit of the church. As they pulled on them, they soon realized they were far too weak to open them. They were lucky that Ichimatsu didn't want to kill them.

Wrapping his hands around the man's neck as tightly as he could, Ichimatsu began to laugh hysterically like a psychopath.

The man's eyes snapped open in utter fear as he began to gasp for air, finding it difficult to breathe.

And to defend himself, the pure man pushed Ichimatsu away. It was surprisingly easy.

Ichimatsu stumbled to the ground, accidentally sitting on his wings, making it literally impossible to stand up by flying again.

"I must apologize!" the priest gasped, walking towards with great dignity. He bent down and offered out his hand. His eyes moved down to Ichimatsu's legs when the demon didn't respond. "Are you a cripple? You poor thing..." he said, his voice filled with nothing but love and concern. "Let me help you."

The man grabbed Ichimatsu's hand and pulled him to his feet, allowing him to fly again.

"My name is Karamatsu," the priest said, walking away. "And please, don't interrupt me while I am blessing children. They are very important to me."

Ichimatsu was taken aback. He had just tried to kill this priest named Karamatsu, yet they showed him kindness in return.

Feeling even more uneasy than before, Ichimatsu quickly flapped his wings towards an open window, flying out into the church cemetery behind the church.

He sat down atop a gravestone, feeling too ashamed to tell his master he failed one of the easiest jobs a demon could possibly do.

"I don't want to go back to that prison cell..." Ichimatsu thought, his mind filled with angst as he saw Karamatsu walking with the two children outside.