Chapter Three

The next day...

The sun was scorchingly, miserably hot the next day as it's burning heat shined down on top of Ichimatsu as he awoke.

Lifting his depressive, sunken in eyes, the demon quickly flapped his wings away, realizing the gravestone he had been on was in the shape of a cross. Osomatsu would definitely scold him for falling asleep on such a disgraceful object.

"How long was I asleep?" Ichimatsu muttered to himself out loud as he turned around, staring at his pitiful excuse for wings. "I won't be able to keep on going like this, will I? My wings can barely lift my broken body. Not to mention how tattered and worn out they have become." he thought bitterly.

Yet despite how deathly hot it was outside, Ichimatsu found it much better than Hell. He actually found himself enjoying it, which, of course, if Osomatsu found this out, he would surely be sent to lower Hell.

All morning long, Ichimatsu watched people come and go from the church, visiting the pure man, Karamatsu. Why were they so obsessed with him? What power did he hold deep within his soul that made him so likable? It bothered the damaged demon to think of such topics.

As the hours rolled on by, Ichimatsu tried his hardest to imagine the ways he could kill Karamatsu. The more he stared at people leaving the church, laughing with pure joy in their hearts, the more he hated this pure person. How was he turning so many people away from Osomatsu so easily? Was it his kindness?

The demon knew for sure that trying to physically kill Karamatsu would be impossible. After his first encounter with the priest the day before, he had gotten a taste of how strong a man he was, inside and out.

"But is he really strong?" the demon asked himself skeptically. "What if I am just weak? Perhaps that is my issue here."

Ichimatsu stared at the soft, squishy green grass beneath him. The gravestones were so hard, but the grass would make it hard to fly again. Getting down on the ground wasn't an option, yet Ichimatsu longed to sit on such a soft, welcoming sight.

The demon continued to stare at the grass, his eyes filled with awe and wonder. His mind reminded him of a time when he was just a young boy, still on Earth. A time where he was out playing with his older brother, rolling around in the grass like two little fighting puppies.

Something inside Ichimatsu's dark heart felt warm and fuzzy for less than a second, then quickly faded back into misery.

The back door to the church creaked open loudly, and Ichimatsu lifted his head. The priest was walking out towards him.

In a swift panicked movement, Ichimatsu flapped his wings, barely getting off of the grave he was on, just managing to land on another one further away from Karamatsu.

There was a warm, welcoming smile on the priests face. And for a moment, Ichimatsu wondered if there was someone else in the graveyard with him. But no, he was all alone. Perhaps the pure man could see someone else, like an angelic figure. Surely he wouldn't be smiling at a demon.

Karamatsu stopped a few feet away from the grave that Ichimatsu was on, and continued to smile. It was almost like he was attempting to tell the demon something, but he couldn't because of how impure Ichimatsu was.

"My brother," Karamatsu said, his voice as smooth as silk, welcoming even to the demon. "why are you all alone? Can't you see that the church is open to everyone?"

Ichimatsu felt so small and insignificant in front of Karamatsu. Just like Satan, only a pure mirror copy of him.

Fear filled Ichimatsu's eyes as he looked away from Karamatsu. Why did this person make him feel so weak on the inside? Was it because he knew, that this man also held a great deal of power, just as Osomatsu?

"There's no need to be alone," Karamatsu said, stepping closer to the gravestone Ichimatsu was on. The priest held out his hand, smiling.

Ichimatsu flapped his tattered wings, using all of his energy to get away from this pure man. He couldn't stand it.

But, just because he was using all of his energy, didn't mean that he could escape at all. In fact, Ichimatsu fell down into the soft grass, just moments after he thought he could finally escape.

"Why are you trying to run away, my friend?" Karamatsu asked, walking up to Ichimatsu. He bent down and offered his hand to help the demon back up. "I wish to do everything I can to make you feel better. But I must ask you this first," the priest paused as Ichimatsu bitterly turned his head away again. "Do you want help?"

Ichimatsu let out an angry hiss, trying to use his arms to push himself away. But, of course, without a doubt, he failed miserably.

Karamatsu firmly grabbed the demon's wrist, lifting him to his feet. He really was strong.

Ichimatsu weakly began to flap his wings again.

"If you ever need anything, please pay me a visit. I am always at this church. I care very much about you, Ichimatsu," Karamatsu said, smiling as he turned around and began to walk away.

"H-how did he know my name..?" Ichimatsu thought, his limbs completely numb. "This man is familiar to me..very familiar..."